1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about P/J and J bass tone comparision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ulvs, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ulvs

ulvs

Aug 7, 2004
    Hello again!

I have one more question that I didn't include in my original post as I only thought of it later.

Right now I've "ordered" Marcus Miller V7 alder P/J bass. But as they don't have it in stock and as I have myself a Mex Fender Precision Special (P/J), I'm starting to think - maybe I should get myself a Marcus Miller V7 jazz bass (probably alder).

But I have my doubts about the tone. So my questions are:
    First, can I get the same (almost) level of low end growl and punch with jazz bass that I could get with P special (by using split coil only or 50/50 split coil and Jazz pup)? If not the same, at least comparably powerful tone.
    And second, won't the Jazz bass tone (Marcus Miller V7) won't be more thin/bland/bright then V7 P/J bass or my fender P-Special P/J?

I have no options to check out these bass live so I need your help in determining if I as a rock musician (playing mostly with pick) won't loose that punch and growl by buying jazz instead of P/J precision.

Yes, I admit, I have no history with Jazzbass, except the fact that for 10 years I've used a neck of a Jazz bass (MIM Fender P-Special has a jazz neck - really comfy).

2. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I'm a bit biased, but I prefer the P/J. My V7 sounds great at home practicing and yes sounds great with a band but to me the P/J's I have just have more oohmph. The Jazz supporters will say some EQing will get you anything you need, esp on a Sire with the mid sweep.

However with the band, if I'm playing the Jazz and switch to the P/J it gives me an instant smile, the P just adds balls.

I think you're getting a bit of the GAS and just want a bass ASAP, don't give into that because it can lead to disappointment.

Can you go to a music store and compare your P/J or other's to some Jazz basses?

chastao and lowdownthump like this.
  3. ulvs

ulvs

Aug 7, 2004
    To be fair, I was lying a bit about my knowledge of Jazz bass sound. I've played it in stores and seen/heard lots of gigs where rock bands use Jazz bass.
    TBH I just really wanted to hear some confirmation on my opinion about which of these bass has more oomph. And reflecting your thoughts - I have to agree with you "with the band" aspect. I generally mostly play bass with a really loud drummer and quite loud guitarist (noise rock, etc.), so I need any extra oomph I can get. That's why I sold my Warwick Rockbass for a MIM Fender P-Special in the first place. I'm quite sure about getting the Marcus Miller P7 as I feel the need to have this kind of tone just a bit more sculpt-able soundwise. You see, My Fender has SD quarter ponders installed. It's generally a "too hot" bass (. So slap, for example, doesn't sound as good as it will on MM P7.

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I’ve tried so hard to love the JJ sound and I’ve heard it work great for a lot of people. I’ve owned 3 very top shelf J’s and passed em on because I felt there was something missing for me. I’ll take a P/J every time. Not saying there’s anything wrong at all with a JJ, just not for me

chastao, twc1313 and lowdownthump like this.
  5. In order to get a more punchy tone from a jazz bass you should back off the volume slightly from either of the pickups. You will then notice a lift in the mids that changes the tone from the scooped tone when both volumes are full up. Backing off the bridge pickup a little gives a more P like tone.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ll take a P/J every time over a J. Always go with your first choice.

chastao, twc1313 and dukeorock like this.