question about p-style pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nataku, Nov 24, 2004.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ive been playing for about 2 years this christmas and im thinking about upgrading the pickup in my first bass. its a p-style johnson. i also have a warwick rockbass with active jazzes and im looking for a nice passive p to give me a wider range of tones. i was looking at the dimarzio model p because its cheap. i was wondering if it would be a good decision to upgrade, since the pickup is pretty cheap, and would it make much of a difference in sound compared to crappy stock johnson pickups. i used the search function but couldnt find the right information, if anyone has any information or experience with these, it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I upgraded my Yamaha RBX300 to Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders and it made a huge difference. Do you like the feel of the bass? If so, then a pickup upgrade is probably a good purchase.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I like J's but I've acquired approaching a dozen different P pups trying to get a good P sound and have actually gotten much better P tone from many J sets or a PJ setup. The only Dimarzio P I've had was part of a DP 126 PJ set and the P by itself didn't do it for me. I not going out of my way for another P pup cause I have several sets of pups that have very good P tone - with a lot more flexibility.

If you like the bass and don't land a P you're satisfied with, I seriously consider routing a J at the bridge.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I use the DiMarzio Will Power Middle pickup. It's the P pup designed for(by?) Billy Sheehan.

It has great tone...very agressive. I also like the fact that it has solid covers so that my fingers don't hit the polepieces and make clicking sounds when I'm playing (I play fingerstyle directly over the pickup).

The Duncan 1/4 pounder sounds good too...I enjoyed the sound of the Steve Harris P that I tried out once.

Another easy and tone enhancing mod is to install a BadAss II's a direct drop-in replacement for P Basses and you don't have to drill new holes.
  5. Hello. I've been playing one of the greatest U.S.A. P-basses going today. I have a Lakland U.S.A. Bob Glaub P-bass model. Lakland uses Lindy Fralin pickups in these basses, and they are awesome. Very loud pickup with a nice growl. I play upbeat blues stuff like Allman Bros., Stevie Ray, Hendrix, etc... and this pickup works very well. Just thought I would throw this at you. These Linday Fralin pickups are only around $125 but would definitely be money well spent. Good luck with your upgrade whatever you choose to do.
  6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland