1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about PA/live sound stuff

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jamisonsalamand, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jamisonsalamand

jamisonsalamand

Aug 15, 2008
    Alright, so I'm completely new to mixers and PA systems and all of this equipment.
    I need to get a PA system to run a mic through so we can have vocals at group practice sessions.
    I was going to get a Behringer UB802 http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EURORACK-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238 and a Kustom KPC10 http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KPC10-10-PA-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600814 because I'm intensely on a budget and that's all I can afford. I was looking at it, and I realized they both say they are unpowered. It seems like the the KPC10 isn't powered itself, and it doesn't seem that the UB802 would power it either. I'm really confused about how to work this stuff, and I'm wondering, would I need a powered mixer to run the KPC10? And if I need a powered mixer to run speakers like that, would the UB802 only be used with speakers that are powered?

2. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    You need a power amp somewhere in your system (something has to drive the speaker). The amp can be a seperate unit, combined with the mixer or combined with the speaker. So:

Mixer -> Power Amp -> Speaker

or

Mixer with built-in amp -> Speaker

or

Mixer -> Speaker with built-in amp

... just so long as there's an amp in there somewhere.

If it's just one mic going into one speaker you could get something like the Behringer B 205 D :

... as you can plug a mic directly into it.

3. jamisonsalamand

jamisonsalamand

Aug 15, 2008
    Alright, that makes sense. I'm looking at this power amp http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crown-XLS-202D-Power-Amplifier?sku=481584
    And I'm a bit confused about how the output for it works, such as what kind of cables you would use and how many speakers it could connect to

Edit: I looked through various things, and I think I would connect the amp to the speaker with a speakon to 1/4" cable, and then I could connect to another speaker through the output of the first speaker. At least that's the way I believe it works, and I'm just checking if I'm right about it

4. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    You would connect the output from the power amp to your speaker(s) using speaker cable with a Speakon plug on one end (for the amp) and a Speakon or 1/4" phone plug on the other (depending on what's on your speaker).

There's no limit to the number of speakers you could connect to the amp, providing that the impedance the amp sees is not lower than two Ohms.

5. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    Yes, a speaker cabinet like that Kustom KPC10 would let you link speaker cabinets together. If you were using two speaker cabinets with that amp though, it would make more sense to connect one speaker cabinet to each side of the amp (the power amp is actually two power amps, for running speaker in stereo for example).

6. jamisonsalamand

jamisonsalamand

Aug 15, 2008
    Alright, thanks for your help. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing now

7. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Here is what I recommend when someone needs a small PA to get started and are on a budget:

Get a small mixer that has 2-4 inputs that you can get for around $100. (behringer 1202fx) Get one powered speaker and use it as a floor monitor for practice. (behringer B212D 550w powered $279.99)

total about $400. I prefer higher end gear like JBL/QSC etc...
    but you are on a budget.

Then save up and get the another matching B212D.
    and you have a PA. When you outgrow your mixer, upgrade to a bigger better quality as well. The most you are losing
    is $100 on the mixer.

Then down the road when you are ready to move up Get a pair of higher end cabs and use the 2-B212D as floor monitors.

This way you are upgrading as you go instead of buying some little powered PA head/system and throwing it out and starting over...........see it all the time....I work in sales and while there is better fidelity equip than behringer, you can't beat what you get for the price..........and have sold a ton of the B212d and B215d powered cabs and have not had a one returned for defects.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that makes sense, and in the scenario described, the little behringer mixer could still be used later as a sub-mixer for other stuff, like keyboards or monitors.

9. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Resurrecting this Zombie thread to say that this advice is brilliant. Turns out that I am on my way to doing this by accident (just bought my second B212D). Now I have a plan. Thx bro

--Bomb :bassist:

10. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Yes this is great advice uhdinator. Thanks. Is there an advantage to using the powered speakers instead of a small powered mixer and passive speakers?

11. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    One advantage is that with powered speakers (or an external power amp and passive speakers) you can upgrade your mixer more cheaply when the time comes.

But a powered mixer sets up faster with fewer cables to deal with.

Everything is a tradeoff.