1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about painting the neck of my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Xanthyon, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I have an Ibanez GSR200 in black. I bought black hardware and some DR Black Beauties and it looks great. However the Maple neck just doesn't cut it for me, IMO its too outta place. I wanted to paint it black to complete the look, but sadly im very bad at arts n crafts, lol. So, anyone have any suggestions on how to go about painting it?

2. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    i promise you will regret it. especially if you do it yourself. and triply so since you are "very bad at arts n crafts". it may look good at first (and will take lots of painstaking care and copious masking to end up that way, even), but as you play it, you might find it makes a sticky and slow (as in neck feel) mess. you might even discover the single biggest problem with most rattlecan paint--- high percentage of solvent that takes a long time (or forever, depending on the brand you pick) to gas out and cure to any kind of durable hardness. literally, weeks to months. and frankly, you probably wont find a "real" guitar refinisher's price to be anywhere close to "worth it", considering it is a $200 bass.

sorry to poo poo the parade, but it really is a bad idea.

3. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    besides, maple and black is tough, yo.....

4. If you have an all-maple neck with maple fretboard, it won't work. The maple fretboard is a feature - it's why you buy the bass.

If you have a rosewood fretboard and want a black neck, with careful prep and masking you can do it, but it's NOT a 30 minute job - it requires study, surface prep and careful application. You need to know what kind of finish is on the neck and use a compatible paint.

Personally, I think you have more to lose (much of the instrument's value) by painting it than you stand to gain.

5. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    wait do GSR200 come with maple fretboards? or is just the back of the neck? anyways dont do it unless you are very good with finishes or take it to a pro, but that could cost more than the bass itself, it can be done but is not that easy