1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about painting.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BEADG, Mar 15, 2008.

1. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know if you can use ReRanch paints on top of a Polyester finish?
    I just bought a mid 90's MIJ 62' reissue P-bass in white that I want to paint Surf green but I don't know if I should do it myself or send it out to be done by a pro.
    Thanks,

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You can shoot over the poly and consider it 'undercoat'. There's a guy over at the www.tdpri.com (user handle rhomco) that has done a few in surf green. Seems to me he has some pic's in the bass forum... looks tasty.

Rhomco's SX-Tele P Bass

He buy's SX P basses and re-shapes the headstock into a Tele shape and has a pretty sharp looking bass when he's done

Probably you should double check with the re-reanch guy and see if there is anything you have to do to the poly coat first.

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I have a Cream colored mid 90's Precision Special (aka Cowpoke) - the poly finish is hard as a rock... I really have no idea how it could be stripped without risking serious body damage so an over the poly might be my answer there as well...

3. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    U can spray over the poly. Me myself I would rather strip it down to bare wood, and then respray. Read up in reranch. Sounds like a cool project either way u decide to do it.

4. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Very cool thanks for the link and the leads. I was thinking the same thing, that sanding off the clear down to the white poly then spray would be a great undercoat and durable too.
    Thanks,