Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about past relationship between Eden and SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 15, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Could someone give me (or point me to) an explanation of the former connection between SWR and Eden. No jingoistic rants, please, just the facts.

Thanks

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Didn't Nordschow and Rabe work together at Acoustic? or was it A.M.P.?

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    nordshow built the cabs for swr early on then the split ways ... thus the "david " series to compete with the "goliath" series. eden didnt bulid their own heads at first. i believe demeter designed the earliest eden stuff.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I didn't know that.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me either.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    brian barett would be the man to ask here!

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Brian is probably at the NAMM show.

I'm just kinda surprised as I was lead to believe that David is an Electronics Engineer.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the first amp they put out i think it was the wt40? was designed by demeter.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I didn't know that:confused: It's so odd how the industry works.

Jim Demeter did an awesome job on designing my 201. He did design that preamp, didn't he?

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The version I got was.....

- Eden was in existence before SWR. Many think, erroneously, that Nordschow started Eden to compete with SWR. Not true, since Eden was around before SWR.
    Eden was an OEM of PA cabs and the first Goliaths for SWR as well as making cabs for Pearce amps. They may have made cabs for other brands, too.

Bob Lee would probably know more, first-hand.

That David Eden guy makes some fine amps! ;)

11. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    i have one of the original goliath cabs (and an original sm-400...both still going strong!). on the back of the cab it says "manufactured by eden electronics".

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    ...and that Jethro Tull sure plays some mean flute. :)

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Nope, that was Ian Anderson!:p

14. rickbass

Which one was the girl in Molly Hatchitt???

15. David is Dave Nordschow, the owner. He is I think an acoustic engineer more than an EE, but I'm just guessing. Like they said, he was an OEM for SWR and others. And yes Demeter was involved with their early preamp design, and he has generally contracted most of his electronic design out. That's what he told me when I tried to get hired by him anyway. They were still advertising as a speaker manufacturer about 3 years ago, I don't know what's going to happen with that.

Stay low

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Who's Ian Anderson? :) Is he any relation to that Floyd guy, Pink?:)

17. rickbass

I seen them in the city! And they wasn't no guy named "Floyd" and none of `em was pank!!!

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    From what I recall:

Steve Rabe came to Amplified Music Products (AMP) after Russ Alee, who was the designer of the Acoustic 360 amp, among other things. Eden made the original SWR cabs. Anyone familar with Groove Tubes will see the resemblance between the first SWR amp and the Groove Tools bass preamp.

My main amps are AMP's and they're still the best I've come across for me.

19. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Kinda off topic...

I have the utmost respect for Brad's taste and I really don't question, for a moment any of his thoughts. I have found that he is so right on, in his impressions. He has been an incredible influence on me.

I find it very interesting, that since Brad can own and play any amp he wants but sticks with this one. There has got to be something to it.

I've never seen or heard one but have thought very strongly about hunting one down.

20. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i picked one up a while back based on the positives i read about it and didnt dig it all that much. on a side note, i now have an old swr sm400 and it sounds pretty similar to the a.m.p.