1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about Paypal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Well, since I'm not 18 yet, I can't have a credit card, but I do have a debit card and savings/checking account. I'm wondering if I could and if I can whether or not it's safe to use to my debit card to buy stuff via paypal.... Does anyone know?

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I don't remember having to verify my age when I signed up for Paypal. Are the things you need to buy only payable via Paypal? You can always buy a Visa prepaid gift card if you're worried about security, though I think you should be fine.

3. Well, almost everything I buy/sell on forums/ebay are done on paypal, and I hate to have my parents do it for me every time... The paypal sign up doesn't ask for age, but I don't know if I can use my debit card because there's the pin and stuff and when there's a pin there will be security issues.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    As long as you can avoid the phishers (and know what to look for), you're good. If you're really that worried, just create a new checking account and get a new debit card just for the purpose of using paypal. That way, you control the funds that go in and out (and in the worse case scenario, only the Paypal funds will be affected), and it isn't your main cash stash. I've been toying with this idea for a while now because I do a lot of electronic bill paying, as well.

5. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've got my PayPal account tied to my checking/debit account and I think it's secure. It's really convenient, when I buy something it's taken out of my account (you enter it as a credit card on PayPal) and when someone sends me money, I can have the money deposited to my account from PayPal (it takes 3 or 4 days though). I recently got a PayPal debit card which I can use to directly take funds out of my balance, instead of waiting for it to get to my checking... I like it a lot.

6. Ahh! This credit/debit card is too confusing... (I should stick with having my parents buy/sell stuff for me...)

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm under 18 and use my Visa debit card through Paypal and eBay. I don't remember being asked my age. It really is one of the most handy things ever, though, and like others I feel it is fairly secure.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, it really is a lot easier than you think, AGP.

9. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Dude, it's pretty easy.

You enter your checking account info and it ties it to your PayPal account.

If you send someone money, it gets taken out of your PayPal balance (if no balance, then it gets taken out of your checking/debit acct)

If someone sends you money, it goes into your PayPal account. You can do a transfer to your bank account but it takes 3-4 days. Or you can leave it in your PayPal acct. for next time you buy something. Or you can get a PayPal debit/credit card and pay for stuff directly out of your PP account without having to transfer.

10. How long does it take for me to send money from my checking/savings account to someone when I have no money on my paypal account?

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Instant

12. It's instant, as far as I know. I've never had a delay and my PP is tied to my checking account.

EDIT: Drat!

13. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have a prepaid visa I use for paypal, I go online and transfer $$$ from my bank to thew card and then use paypal, safe and easy (It costs $2.00 to use the card though a small price to pay for that kind of safety IMHO)

14. Ok, Paypal will work with Debit Card savings accounts right? I added my debit card savings account last friday, and paypal said they've sent 2 small amounts to my savings account to confirm, but it's still not showing up...

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021