Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about peavey amp(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ok, so I just got my Peavey TKO65 (65 watts, 8 ohms) repaired. i thought it was a blown speaker situation, but instead it was just the connection between the head and cab (and a speaker mismounting). so i also have this TNT130 (130 watts, 4 ohms). it's got high out and low out jacks. i have a guitar amp that i don't use much, but i want my bass sound to sound a little more like a guitar because i play in a band with two basses. is it going to hurt either one of the amps if i send the highs out to the Crate GX-60 (guitar amp, 60 watts, round 4 ohms) and the lows out to the TKO65 (bass amp)? any help would be appreciated

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    It should be no problem.

3. your saying ONLY sending the highs through the crate right?

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Why do you need 2 basses?

I could see if you play in like an actual band with trumpets and ect, where you would play electric, and someone else would play tuba, thats the way it was in my jazz band for me. But are you talking like a rock band with 2 bassist?

Sounds stupid IMO.

But hey, don't let me ruin your fun!

-Rob

5. my town suffers the curse that noone inside of it is in much else other than the school band. we set out for a guitarist, but every one we tried sucked balls HARD. we're doing a death metal/crust punk/straight punk mix. besides, i use distortion, so i'm close to guitar tone anyways.

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Sounding like a guitar dosn't mean your ganna be able to be heard though.

I tried that once I had some cool distortion and me and my guitar players were jamming, and to make a long story short, I don't use distortion, I might use a wee bit to get some grit in there to cut through but nothing like Zakk Wylde type distortion.

Whats the purpose of the bass in a band?
    To lay down the grooves, not to clunk around and sound like doodie. Thats the guitarists job :D .

Bass and drums are the entire rythm section in a band, if you put some heavey distortion on, your durmmer wont be able to tell the difference from you and the guitarists, so you're screwed.

But don't take my word for it, just telling what I've done. IMO distortion for bass is only good when you are just messing around in your bed room, but in a band situation, let the guitarists do it.

-Rob

7. i understand what your getting at, but witha two bass band, you've gotta throw all these rules out the window and write your own. it's gonna likely take a couple more weeks than other bands to figure everything out, but if you can make it tight, it works

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Ya if you guys can compromise and have fun it's all good.

I'd like to hear a recording of you guys. 2 basses, thats worth a chuckle.

-Rob

9. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Gotta admit I like the idea of the 2nd bass going for a low guitar sound. Especially in these jenres! Not only should the setup you describe work fine (my old Peavey Mk VIII head had similar line outs with an on-board crossover that worked great) but, tweaked correctly, you ought to be able to get that ultra-low guitar grind (7-string kinda thang) that Korn,et.al. used in the 90's. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the band that was ALL basses and drums a few years back (if I remeber correctly, they hailed from LA back in the mid and late 90's). I'm sure someone will pop onto the thread and name the band pretty quickly. You can check out their stuff and see what gave them their "guitar" sounds.

You are definitely correct, send only the "high out" to the Crate! If you haven't already thought of it, you may try placing the amps in different parts of the stage for shows (right, left and center, OR one Peavey on each end and the Crate on top of one of them-- preferably opposite of your other bassist's amp). This may give you some excellent sound array (poor man' stereo) and reduce the bass hot/cold spots in the venue.

10. DrGonzo

DrGonzo

May 24, 2005
    Why not?

Why do bands have guitarist?

Why do they have drummers instead of drum machines?

Why not use a keyboard instead of bass?

Why do we bother spending time, money etc. on something that is, ultimately, poiontless?

BECAUSE ITS FUN TO DO NEW THINGS, IDIOT!!!!!!

Dont mean to be harsh or anything, but that has got to be one of the most retarded posts I've ever heard. Haven't you ever heard of innovation? Or experimentation, for that matter?

11. DrGonzo

DrGonzo

May 24, 2005
  12. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Well yes I replied to him and said that if he and his friends have fun with it is all good.

I wasn't trying to be arrogant or anything I was just simple asking why 2 basses?

I've never seen a rock band, jazz band, funk, r&b, or whatever type of band that has had more than one bass.

So sorry if I'm being a little harsh but read what people say before you go and open up your mouth, not once was I critisizing him or his band, or what he wanted to do.

Heres my quote where I said that if he got everything worked out that I told him to just have fun.
    Sorry to sound like a priss but can you tell me where I told him it was a bad idea to have 2 basses in his band?

No you can't, so have a great day!

-Rob

13. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    xb, it is your "that's worth a chuckle" comment that set him, me and others on edge. If you can't take people doing new stuff and enjoying it, burn your Primus and Mathews CDs and start your own country. Sorry, but you said it.

14. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Sorry, Rob, I'm afraid the "Sounds stupid IMO" in your first post (#4 above) does sound harsh. Hard to deny that one!

That's the darned thing about writing something down. It's there for everyone to see.........

So "yes we can!" Have a nice day!

15. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thats the thing it was my opinion, and then later I told the guy who started the thread to just have fun with it.
    Lets just let by gones be gones I apologise and I wanna just forget about it and have a good time respecting everyone and what they wanna do.

-Rob

16. well, tried it out with both the peavey and the crate....i was weary of turning up the volume on either one of the amps because i didn't want to overload the speakers, but i can say that 3 amps doesn't particularly sound different. i avoided distortion for a bit. turning down all other eqs and raising the treble made the crate give off a nicer "snap" to all the notes, but even so i didn't really notice it so i just cranked the reverb. the peavey tko65 didn't really sound different at all, it was just like a vibrating piece of furniture.
    as for two basses, we also think that just going on as a three piece (bass drums and vocals) would be weak live (ANYONE FROM JERSEY APPLICABLE), an also since i do a little bit of soloing i'd like someone to be able to fill the empty spaces
    this leads me to my next question: last night i tried out a new bassplayer (a sixer that wants to be a one man show), and he used the tko, and set everything flat. oddly enough, that amp beat the $h!t out of my TNT for the volume war (even though i didn't hear alot of the notes, just the rumble, but it still one that round. the combo was only at like 3 for the pre and the post was cranked. so now I have the TNT, which i basically had to match (with loud distortion as well) tones with teh pre on 4-6 and the post cranked, the lows on 5, the mids on like 8, and the treble at 7 or so. also, i had the shift cranked, the bandwidth at the pointy setting, the presence between 5 and 6 and the frequency around 300. HOW can i get more juice out of the TNT130?

17. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

You must have a different model then mine cause I can play with the volume and pre gain just bout at 12oclock and still have room to turn down and still be heard.

My tnt has a 7band EQ I usually take the 3 middle sliders, don't know the technical frequency names off hand and boost them up around 8 or so and keep the low end on the far left set flat and slightly boost the far 2 right sliders to give me a little more edge and I'm fine.

Do you have an owners manual? If you do, try and read through it, also if the tnt130 has a speaker out, try hooking up another speaker to it, be sure it is the right ohmage though.

-Rob

18. yah, this one's parametric. there's SOME sort of jack on the back, not labeled or anything, it's a quarter inch. perhaps i'll use it. oh, and no i don't have the manual.