Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Garage, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I heard a lot of bass player said its best turn up the volume and pick gently instead of hard. When I listend to Jaco it sure dosent sound like he picking lighty, but more like he his really pulling the strings.

What is the most common way to do it?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    One thing you'll notice about Jaco's technique is that he played way back by the bridge - I believe he was usually roughly over the bridge pick up. The strings are tighter back there and you can get away with playing hard without creating a lot of string movement.

3. VEZ

VEZ

Aug 19, 2005
    Behind a bass guitar
    I think hardly is the best. Music's all about feelings and when you play hard, you can feel the song better than a gentle picking. Gentle picking becomes boring to play.

4. You should be able to do both and decide where each is most suited for the song.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jaco called it "cutting the string." Nothing I can stand worse than hearing some bass player lightly touch the strings when he should be digging in. I'm like, "Play, damn you!"

There's a time when you should play quietly and lightly touch the strings. But there's a time when you need to play like a man, too.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You should cultivate the ability to play with a range of force. That's what is meant by dynamics. ideally, you should be able to play with a soft attack, a hard one, or various attacks in between, at will.

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Yeah, lay into it. IMO you can't get a lot of tone from the strings unless you're really playing them.
    I use my fingers for soft tunes.

8. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    You guys have been very helpfull!
    Thanks a lot!
    :)