1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about pickups on this bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fatboy250, Apr 13, 2006.

1. On the description for pickups I noted PBEMG / JBEMG. What does this mean? My only guess is Precision-Bass and Jazz-Bass. However, the neck pickup looks just like the bridge (standard jazz type) ebass01.
    I've always seen the two split type Precision pickup, are they the same? A little confused.

Also, does the EMG part of this description make this an ACTIVE pickup?

Thanks,
    Jason Rauch
    Columbia, SC

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

doesn't make much sense to me either, unless those are options rather than what's shown. Nice pic. Perhaps they know what they're talking about and can tell you if contacted.

Those are both jazz bass pups and they're usually essentially the same pup although typically different lengths. It's not a typical split P and won't likely sound like one due to design and location, but thats for you to decide. In my experience, it's possible to be close enough to be splitting hairs.

EMG makes passives pickups, like the HZ's. They also "design" pickups that "others" make. If there's no preamp in the pickup, they're not active. So no battery in the control bay, they're definetly not active. But the existence of a battery could just power an onboard preamp while the pups are passive (See bass tone glossary - among others).