Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about porting a cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mobay45, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I have an old Hartke 210XL cabinet that had blown speakers. I bought 2 Eminence Kappa Pro speakers to replace them with. I just got a chance to play with it hooked up last night and it just seems too tight. It's like the speakers don't have enough room to flex and they don't have much in the way of bass response.

Would porting the box help? The only place I can see that I could possibly port it in the triangular area in between the speakers on the top or the bottom.

Also, if you suggest porting the box, would it be better to just cut hole or would you suggest that I drop in some sort of tube to pull the sound from the back of the cabinet?

Thanks in advance,
    Larry

2. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I just happened to think that I could also port the box in the rear if that would be better.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You've just discovered the fact that you can't just toss a couple of speakers into a box and have them work properly. Kappa Pros aren't the best choice for bass to begin with, and are very poor in a sealed box. A pair want a 2 cu ft (net) cabinet with a 4 inch ID ducted port 5 inches long. They'll still be weak in the bottom end but they'll be better.

4. +1. You'll need to bump the nether-region when using the Kappas. Done properly, porting may help you get a little more on the bottom end, but so will EQ. The Kappas are best suplemented by something a little more bottom-sensitive. I suplement my Avatar 410 Kappa Pro box with a 1X15 and its a killer combo... (soon I'll be replacing the 1X15 with Bill's Tuba 24) .

- Andrew

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I had very much the same questions as you a while
    back while re-doing a cab. ( 2 page thread in my sig. )
    That should answer a lot of questions for you.

You will want to download WinISD as we discussed and model
    your cab volume, speaker parameters and port sizes to
    come up with a good set of compromises.

Have fun, mine came out great!

6. Mobay45

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me on this.