Question about possible neck damage from string tension...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BaSsDuDe230, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Ok, now 2 days ago (thursday) i broke my g-string (stop laughing) and i was mad, yes but i delt with it. Today, i broke my d string and i was worried about any possible neck damage that this could cause. I know if u leave all of the strings off, it causes damage to the neck. Can the same happen if theirs 3 strings on (I got a 5 string)Thanks.

PS: No bass until wednesday (when i get the strings)...i was playin my brothers bass today too and i broke his E string so no bass...what should i do for the next 4 days?
  2. Well, for one, stop breaking strings. You must be pulling the strings off the fret board as hard as you can. I've used the same strings for 2 1/2 years and only popped the G string. It just unwound a little. So stop breaking strings. I know if there aren't all or any at all strings on the bass it will mess the neck up, but I don't know how many that takes, and I'm sure it takes a while, so for a day or so it probably should be fine. But you should try to find out why you break strings so often. It's just not natural.
  3. these strings have been on for 4 months. The d string is a long story and the E string on my brothers bass broke cause i was playin harder than i usually do(it was one of my favorite songs)...and his strings have been on for a year or so. And thats the thing, it will be till wednesday. My brother has a guitar lesson that day so him and my dad go. Cant go any other day cause mom dont drive down there (she cant park down there :)rolleyes:) and dad works till 8 (the store closes at 8)
  4. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i've never ever broken a pair of strings. i just dont see how you can do it on a 4 string unless you are doing it on purpose. or your have absolutely no idea what your doing. are you tuneing your strings too tight? are you playing your bass with wire cutters?
  5. You should remove the wire cutters that you have attached to your fingertips
  6. naw...they weren't tight. I tuned it the night before and it was E-A-D-G. And i certainly wasnt doing it on perpous
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's unlike that this will damage the neck.
    Check for sharp edges on the bridge, that's one of the major reasons for broken strings, next to playing too hard.

Use a lighter touch, better tone, less tiring for the fingers and more speed.
  8. thanks JMX and the others for the help. One more question, on my bass (5 string) there are 3 strings left... one is the E. Can i put the E from that on my brothers Jazz bass? Just wondering :D
  9. E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Yes. There's no difference between the E string on a four and the E string on a 5, unless they are different guages.
  10. I know, i was askin if 2 will mess up the neck. According to the information though, it wont. Thanks all for your help, i got my question answered :D
  11. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    this time when you go to buy your strings, buy 2 sets. that way, when you break a string, you'll have a spare set to keep you going in the meanwhile.