Question about pot impedance!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeebo, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jeebo

Jul 27, 2004

On my 6 string Cort I replaced Mightymite active soapbars with passive bartolini M46C soapbars. Improovement in sound is more than obvious and I am satisfied! But passive pickups require 250 kohm vol pot imedance, and I have 25 kohm. Generally how the different pot impedance affects original sound from pups?
    Thanks! :rolleyes:
  2. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Glad you like the passive Barts! No more batteries...

Using the 25k pot will cause quite a loss of high frequencies, even at full volume.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Your output level will be low, your frequency response not too great and the sound likely less good than it can be (but you might like it).
    Change out the pots for the correct value ones, or better still get a decent preamp.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've swapped pots in and out of preamped harnesses using what was available at times. I've abandoned pots and preamps both so it's been a while, but I don't recall any variations of significance. I noticed considerably more impact from various capacitor sizes with what little I messed with them.

Passively, it may make more difference. Especially using a 25K pot. I've only wired one harness passively and the pots sizes were as they should have been.

But all the major manufacturer's of basses and preamps typically recommend, if not specify, specific pots sizes and I always stuck to that when I could. Pots are inexpensive and easy to install so why not. The major problem I had with pots was various stem lengths, threads, thread diameters, and diameters of the pots themselves - not to mention knobs.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there'll definitely be high freq loss - with passive pups there's a very noticeable difference between 250k and 500K pots.