Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about power amps ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unrealrocks, Jan 1, 2005.

1. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    I currently have an Ashdown ABM 4x10 cab running on a borrowed Peavey 180watt head - so I'm looking to buy my own soon.

I was looking around at normal bass heads and wondered if it'd sound OK just using a normal power amp. The amp in quesion was an Alesis RA500 http://alesis.com/products/ra500/

This could supply my cab with 500 watts of power at 8ohm and looking at the frequency response its not going to colour the sound at all.

Now if I used a preamp with this, for eg the Bass VAMP Pro, I could run my rig off this, correct?

My final question is - would it sound any good? :p

My main point of doing this is to save money and get more Watts for the old £££s, as that power amp would cost me around £200 whereas a decent bass head I'm looking at £400-500 for that ammount of power.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The basic equation for an amp is cab+power amp+preamp, and in your case you have 2 parts of it. However, the V-Amp is an effects unit, and it may work as a preamp but I doubt it would sound good at all.

3. you NEED some kind of preamplifier... you can't have no preamp because the signal from your bass isn't big enough to drive the power amp!

the pre/power route is a good one and a flexible one. MOST people wouldn't use a V-amp as a preamp... it does work but it is mostly used as an effects unit and run in an effects loop.

I'd recommend going the route you are but using a simple 1U bass preamp instead of the V-amp. If you want all the effects get that later and run it in the effects loop of your preamp. JMO ofcourse.

I dunno nething about the alexis power amps... It does look pretty big and could get rather heavey though!

4. Phazbat

Phazbat

Jan 1, 2005
    As Matt Dutyfree says, you will need a pre-amp. I run an old Trace GP11 into a Peavey 1500 power amp as part of a rack system with no problems and a very flexible sound. An effects unit is not a realistic substitute for a pre-amp.

5. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    I know I need a pre and power amp. I allready have the VAMP as my FX, I can buy another preamp if needed ... its just the quesion of everything else being equal - would that power amp be OK?