1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about powering GS112's.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Mar 27, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I noticed yesterday, during rehearsal... that I was driving my power amp into period peaks of clipping. This is bad, I get that. I'm considering getting a stompbox type of compressor to help minimize this.

During rehearsal, I only use 1 channel of my Crown XLS 402, to drive a single Aggie GS112. That's 260w @ 8ohms. So, I'm considering upgrading my power amp.

The easy no-money solution is to simply take both GS112s... and that's fine. But, part of the reason I wanted to go w/ 2 GS112s, was for portability.

BUT, I'm wondering what everyone else drives their GS112's with.

2. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006

I don't think upgrading your amp would take care of this problem in the short run since the cabinet will still give you only 260W. Your amp is 300W at 8ohm (per channel I beleive) so your best bet like you said would be to add your second cabinet.

3. ~300w for 1 GS112, ~575W for 2. More volume than I ever need...

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Have you tried bridging the Crown with one GS112?That would take care of your clipping problem and give you some headroom.When I had a GS112 I used it with a Carvin R 1000 with about the same power as your Crown and I much preffered the sound of my amp when bridged at 700 watts vs 285 watts from one side.I thought the sound was fuller and had more punch.As long as you don't hear the Aggie distorting and don't overdo the volume it should work fine.I don't think you need to upgrade your amp.Nice rig and nice basses by the way.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1,000,000 and I have a GS112....

:)

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I think I'm gonna try this option. In fact, I think I'm just going to reset to running it bridged mono, even when using both cabs. 1 cab = 8ohms = 800ws 2 cabs = 4ohms = 1140w.

Bridging a Crown XLS requires custom cables,,, which I already have. Specifically, it takes a custom y-splitter, and a speaker cable, which custom wired for such an thing.

However, this leads me to my NEXT question...

On the back of the GS112's, there is ONE speakon input, & TWO 1/4" jacks. If I use my speakon-to-speakon cable to the lead cabinet,,, can I then daisy chain the 2nd cab, using one of the two 1/4" jacks? In others words, if you're daisy chaining these cabs, do you have to use both 1/4" jacks?