1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about re-radius from 9.5 to 7.25

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g4string, Oct 12, 2013.

1. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Guys/Girls......

Curious as to how much fret board material one will lose from a re-radius 9.5 neck down to a 7.25. Wanna make sure I'm not going to run the risk of sanding down to the position markers......My gut tell me I'll hit the markers, but figured I'd shoot out a quick thread to see if anybody knows of the top of their head how much material one can expect to loose. Thanks!

2. Depends on dimensions of the current neck and where the position markers are. No one size fits all answer.

lowsound

3. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Youre right, I guess width plays a factor. Lemme get some width measurents.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Exactly why do you want to re-radius your neck?
    To answer your question, you will loos a minimum of .55" off of the edge of the fretboard. This is assuming its a 4 string Fender neck with a 2.5" heel.

Here is a diagram I drew out

radius_zpsb85b8dbc.

5. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Re-radius due to preference. However, .55 is quite a bit. Prob need to shop around for a new neck properly radiused from the get go. Thx.

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    .55 or .055
    Check the diagram.

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    You are correct, its .055, The program was right I screwed that up.

8. rdcowan

rdcowan

Aug 13, 2009
    Central Texas
    0.055 is a little less than 1/16".

9. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Thx for all the help guys....I'll check over the neck and see if it'll work. If not, a new neck might be in the cards.

10. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Easy typo to make. Worried the OP might have been scared off by the loss of 1/2". Hell I was scared by a 1/2" loss.
    :)

11. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    There wouldn't be any fingerboard left after radiusing :D

12. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    4 string or 5?
    Neck Taper width at nut and width at last fret...bridge.
    How thick is the fretboard?

I wouldn't do it. What kind of a neck is it? You may end up sanding through the outer parts of the dots on the 12th fret, or blocks all across the neck. You will sand through the fret slots on the edges and properly slotting depth would likely go into the maple...Depending on how accurately that is done you may start hitting your truss-rod...and you are destabilizing the neck...a lot. If you remove material its like having 22 pieces of fretboard glued to your neck that are not connected.

13. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I think you will have plenty of room to take the radius down to 7.25" Just from measuring my instruments there should be plenty of room. You should double check before you start just to make sure.

14. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    1/2 is quite a bit indeed!!!!

But even 50 thousandths is quite a bit in the grand scheme of things [when dot markers come into play). Seriously reconsidering a new neck being built.

15. 42