question about recording GUITAR tracks.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fleabass89, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Hey everybody.. wow. Yes, I know I haven't posted in a few years or so. (You might notice an improvement in grammar/punctuation). Haha.. OK to the point. My ska band is recording a few songs soon, and I have a question about recording guitar tracks, being that I play guitar in the band. Sorry I didn't know if this should be in misc or not. OK, so in most of these songs, the verses consist of clean upbeat stroke guitar and the choruses have a big, thick distorted sound. I was wondering if I should use a separate track for the clean and the distorted. There are a few advantages to this, of course... I can adjust the clean and distorted more when I mix. But it might be more difficult too... I'd like to have two or more guitars playing... So should I record the clean and distorted all one one track (using a pedal), pan it at 0 and then add maybe two more guitars, each at 50 on each side? i don't know how easy it will be to synchronize the separate clean tracks since the upbeats are very fast.. and sometimes i change things too. Maybe I should record the clean and distorted all on one track and then record two more tracks for only the distorted. bah im confused. I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, but what would you recommend in this situation? I know i want more than one distorted guitar, especially in the heavy, sing a long beer-in-the-air type choruses. Meh. Respond if you want.

2. yeah, do the whole thing on one track. then do overdubs of just the distorted part. keep it simple, and less problems will arise:)