Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about refinishing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by hetsscaryguy, Jul 2, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    right so ive arrived at the stage where ive sanded back my bass and am ready to start painting. my question is do i have to seal it or would it already be sealed, it feels very smooth and i mean VERY smooth, is it possible that i didn't sand away the sealer and if i did sand it away what kind of sealer do i use, try not to suggest anything too fancy i live in ireland, i went into a store today looking for tung oil and i have totally baffled three of the peole working there and this is the best DIY store in my area. so just a sealer that will do the job its not like the bass is worth a lot to me anyway.

2. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    is grain filler the same thing as wood filler is another question i forgot to ask before? would wood filler serve the same purpose as grain filler?

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    You may want to mention what you will be using for paint as that might make a difference to those that would know the anser your question. I have never used "color" paint on a bass. I use clear lacquer, Qualasole, Tung oil or wipe on polyurathane. good luck...........t

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ok i bought plasti-kote metallic blue spray paint, its rattle can paint. like i said before the bass isnt worth much, really only sentimental value. what does a sealer do in the first place?

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Umm, you should go to www.reranch.com if you really wanna try this yourself.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i wouldnt use plasi kote, i get that stuff returned all the time at the place i work because it doesnt stick for crap.

also if your using that type of paint, you actually want the sealer on there....better yet a primer, block sand it down with 400-600 grit, then spray the paint on, 2-5 coats in just a medium wet, then a clean coat on top, and wet sand that with 1200-2000 grit.

7. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    well im finished doing the guitar now and so far it looks great. i have 3 coats of laquer on top of the plasti-cote and it hasnt come away at all.

sorry but now ive a new question. as i said before the bass is a piece of crap, somuch so that the pickups for it dont match any standard size pickgaurd mounted pckups like p or j pickups so i need a new pickgaurd. does anywhere know anywhere that will cut me a custom pickgaurd if i supply a template? i was thinking of getting a blank off stew mac and a bevel cutter or do i need something ele apart from the bevel cutter? i have no tools in my house except or a really crap old power drill so would i be able to cut the pickgaurd with just the bevel cutter?

8. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    sorry i think i should check things out better before i reply in future, i just found that the stew mac bevel is a router attachment, im ****ed for getting a new pickgaurd!