Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about replacing EMG-HZs with active EMGs...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nickalan620, Apr 17, 2005.

1. I am looking into getting a bass, either a schecter, spector, or ESP, and they all (in my price range at least) come stock with EMG-HZ pickups and an active preamp. If I got one of those basses, how difficult would it be to replace the EMG-HZs with lets say EMG DC's? What kind of extra wiring (besides the easy replace clip that is on all EMG pickups) would need to be done and would I NEED an extra battery?

If all i need to do is use the easy replace clip, I would be very happy > :hyper:

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Personally, I like the EMG HZ's I think they sound very good but if you feel you need to change them, EMG's may be an improvement.

IIRC, most of the basses you've mentioned have EMG BTS preamps. You would need to take the HZ's, and volume and/or blend pots out and replce them with the 25K pots that come with the EMG.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1 on changing the pots. I had to. Also, you will need to cut the ground wire running to the bridge. Active EMGs are internally grounded. Considering the cost of the pickups and pots, (and labor if you take it to a pro), it can be rather costly, considering the original price of the bass. I did all of the above and wound up switching back to the HZs, as I preferred their tone. One more thing, if you switch to active EMGs, try running an 18 volt power supply. Good luck.