Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about replacing speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jun 2, 2003.

1. still haven't recivered from all my gear being stolen so i'm looking for more options.... my question is, i have an old Ampeg SVT 410E cab that is only a 250 watt cab, and the problem is that i need a cab that can hold more power. can i replace the speakers with higher powered ones, or will that require major internal surgery? is the cab structurally sound to handle more power? this i don't know. i'm not retarded, i know speaker replacement is extremely common, i just want to know if it's possible to do it with the cab that i own. thanks for looking...

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I suspect what you really mean, is that you need to make more volume; you could achieve that by either using more sensitive speakers, applying more power, or adding on additional cabinets.

I wouldn't advise a speaker swap; what Ampeg uses is decent stuff and you'd probably reduce the resale value. You might consider adding another used cab.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually I suspect that gustomatic is using an amp that is more powerful than 250w and is worried that he's going to blow the speakers into smithereens? Chances are you're worrying over nothing but lets check:-

What amp are you using? How many watts is it and what's the minimum ohms it can handle? How many ohms is the speaker cab?

4. PEtebass.... you are on the money.. right now i'm using an older Peavey power amp (my ampeg was stolen :bawl: ), and i prefer using the bridge mono mode for more beef. (i use my SansAmp as a preamp, stolen gear SUCKS!!!) i'm currently borrowing a massive Mesa cab, but that has to go back to the owner in about a week. once i have to give the Mesa back i'm stuck with my 8ohm 250 watt SVT cab that i absolutely love. but, i am afraid i will blow my speakers. my old ampeg ran 1000 watts bridge mono, and the importance of headroom for dynamics and feel was never something i thought of. my ampeg changed all that.... i have to cut through 3 Mesa guitar amps (i'm in 2 bands), so power and headroom is necessary..

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm we have a problem..... I'm not affraid to pump more watts into a speaker than it's listed rating. But this doesn't feel good.

If that amp is putting out 1000w at 4 ohms, it is probably putting out 700w at 8 ohms. 700w into a 250w speaker isn't as bad as 1000w, but it's a bit more than I'm comfortable with.

The way I see it, these are your choices:-

1) Do it but be very careful not to play too loud or with too much bottom end.
    2) Buy or build a second 8 ohm cab and split the power between the 2 of them. Each speaker gets 500w and that should be OK. You'll still have to be a bit careful (as always).
    3) Find replacement speakers. You'll have to measure your cab and post the Height, width and depth. We'll work out the box volume, then hunt around for speakers that will work in a cab that size. Then is't a matter of adjusting the porting.

Believe it or not, building a cab from scratch isn't than much more work than finding replacement speakers.

Question. Did Ampeg ever sell that cab in a version with higher wattage rating?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    How many watts is the Peavey in bridge mode? Can it go down to 2 ohms like a lot of the old Peaveys?

Does the Sansamp put out enough signal to drive the peavy to full power?

Maybe you could rewire your SVT cab to change the impedance. I don't know what speakers are in there now. Do you know the impedance of each individual speaker?