1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about reverb nation

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Crystalman85, May 17, 2012.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Okay I hope I'm in the right section to ask this. what are your thoughts on reverb nation? I was informed that reverb nation is really nothing special and that website expects you to do something more than just post music on the website. I'm not quite sure if that's true or not. but what I would like to know is what are your thoughts on reverb nation? and is reverb nation a decent website to gain more fan base for your band?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    The basic (and free) ReverbNation is simply a webpage for your band (or you). You get to post a bio, photos, music, show schedule, etc. Did I mention it's free?

There are no obligations to using the ReverbNation webpage... did I mention it's free?

ReverbNation also does web hosting... if you want a more full featured website... but that's not free.

As far as using ReverbNation to gain more of a fan base for your band... it can simply be another piece to the puzzle... but hardly a one stop solution.

3. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Anyone out there who's had more success with Reverb' than Facebook?
    I've been holding off on Reverb because our band already has a dedicated site plus a pretty good FB following. Wondering if it's a different demographic.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Okay so it is a decent website after all. but gain more fan base is basically a piece of a puzzle. thanks for letting me know and yes I was informed that the website is free. I don't intend doing anything fancy if I were to join reverb nation. I would just basically share some my band's music. that's all.

5. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    ReverbNation is a decent tool for bands - easy to use, easy to post stuff, easy to share with others. You can also directly link it with your Facebook page. I've found it to be a nice free stopgap for my band until we can get a full-on web site happening, which is going to require more cost and time, etc.

6. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    That's basically how I've used it. For projects that need just a simple web presence... where folks (and venues) can sample our songs, read some background, and see photos (show them how old we are)... it's an excellent site. I've found it to work way better than Myspace.

I view Facebook as being another piece to the puzzle... but Facebook works differently than ReverbNation and serves a slightly different purpose.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    So reverb nation works differently from facebook, huh? I've been using facebook and soundclick with my band and I have been wondering about reverb nation. thanks for the info.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Thanks for letting know, Tampabass. I do have a facebook website for my band. I don't Intend on doing anything fancy if I join reverb nation. I would just basically share some of my band's songs. that's all.

9. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I view Facebook as more of a social networking thing, and ReverbNation as more of a music specific site.

Check out both sites... they're both valid... but I think ReverbNation has a slightly cleaner look to it... better for venues to access. Facebook might be better for fans.

Just my $.02

10. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I agree with slowgypsy - for gathering Fans and alerting people to your events, et, Facebook is where you wanna go. ReverbNation can be used in tandem with Facebook -- good place to store music/photos/bio/band calendar, and then you can easily send anyone a link to ReverbNation, to access those materials.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    @slowgypsy I see what you mean. facebook is more of a social network kind of website. and reverb nation is more of a website for music lovers. I can easily see the difference between to two websites.

@Tampabass I understand that reverb nation doesn't really guarantee gaining more fan base for bands, but at least it attracts music listeners to check out your band's music. so I give reverb nation a try.

12. The thing that used to be cool about Reverbnation is that it
    worked with facebook. It would add bunch of stuff to your
    facebook page including your music and videos. It was a big
    plus for some time.

However, the new facebook timeline thing seems to have
    broken that feature.

13. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Seeing how I loathe FB with a passion, I love me some Reverb Nation.

Like everyone else said, it's free. There are no ads or pop ups (at least running Firefox with Ad Blockers). You can upload songs, videos, blog entries, contact information, and all kinds of nifty things.

Just my 2ยข

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    In my experiences, FB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RVN.

RVN is cool for what it is, but it is ONLY for bands. Not many people (if any) get on it just to check out other bands. It's mainly as a way for venues to hear bands and get a feel for them. As far as marketing and fan interaction is concerned, FB wins the battle without any fights.

15. lweastdad

lweastdad

Feb 5, 2011
    We've been on our own web site, Facebook, Reverbnation and Sonic gigs.

MUCH more feedback and views on Facebook and our Web Site. Almost nothing on the other two.

16. Slowgypsy

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Exactly.

Facebook... is much more of a social networking site... very appropriate for your fans to visit and interact with.

ReverbNation, SonicBids, band websites, etc... are more geared for venues to visit and check you out, to see if you're the type of act they want to book. They're not sites that are geared for lots of fan interacting and networking. Generally speaking of course.

However, each of these websites are all pieces to the puzzle... and all should be utilized as they each have things to contribute to your band.

17. It's a different animal than Facebook or a .com/.net website. We've made new fans through there, although not nearly as many as we have on Facebook. The one thing I've found it very useful for is finding new bands to play with. I've found roughly 10 good rock bands in our area that we've either booked shows with, or will be booking with soon, since I started using Reverbnation back in March. Also, on Wednesday I got a call from a promoter that found us through RN, offering us a show at a very nice venue I've been trying to get us into for the last year.

Some of the other great things are the ability to create events and automatically have them posted to Facebook and your .net/.com website (via a plugin), as well as tracking all of your shows, the attendance, your number of plays on Facebook/Reverbnation, and a bunch of other statistical data.

IMO/IME it's a good idea to maintain Facebook, Reverbnation and your own website, as each will benefit you differently.

EDIT: Beat me to it... :)

18. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Apr 13, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    I signed us up for RN to add it toour FB, but because our FB was origionaly set up as a 'group' so we could stay in touch with our fans (mostly family & friends) we can;t add it unless we want to start over again on FB with a 'band' page :-(

So I haven't done anything with it at all, although it amuses me to see we're #335 in our area :)

19. you'll want to start a "page" anyways.

Groups are very different from pages. Groups have a limit, and get very clustered. Every person is considered a member. It can also give people notifications, which get pretty complicated. they are harder to share and find.

For networking beyond your normal area, a Page is what you need to have. We have a private hidden group for communication.

20. We use Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, and ReverbNation currently.

Facebook is great for networking with individuals who may have seen you at a show or who want an easy way to find your band when you contact them about a gig. Just about everybody has a Facebook. If you're looking to network with businesses and such, most of the ones you'd want to associate with have some bit of Facebook presence, which means they can find you.

We use Reverbnation to put all of our media in one place, as well as a show schedule. Say I'm e-mailing a venue to say that we are opening up bookings between late March and early June. I would say something like

"Hello (Bar owner's formal name),
    I am from a local band called The Magistrate. We are a young hard rock/alternative band. Our music is just hard enough to rock the place, but catchy and emotional enough to get your everyday person interested. We have good stage presence, a good local draw, and know how to get people into the show.

We are booking shows now for late Spring. Specifically, we are open between late March (from around the 20th) to early June (up until the 5th).

You can find us here on our ReverbNation page: http://www.reverbnation.com/themagistrate

There you can listen to our music, see videos of us playing to other crowds, and see our user data. You can see we are currently ranked number 10 out of around 300 bands in our local area. This takes into account new fans, number of times our songs have been played, how long our music holds people's attention before they click away, and how many shows we play. You can also find a calendar there of all of the shows we have booked. Any weekend dates not already listed on there are open for us. If you'd like to talk to us about another date, let me know and we can work with you.

We look forward to hearing from you and hopefully doing business together!

Thanks,
    Dakota (The Magistrate)"