Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question About Rig Combinations???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I did a search and didn't find anything that really answered my question.

I've decided to buy an Avatar 2x10 to be used primarily as a practice amp in my room. my GK 1x15 RBH will stay at my rehearsal space. I plan on just carrying my GK 800 RB head back and forth. Now I do want to combine evrything every now and then.

Can all of these pieces be combined? I read a thread about ohms and compatibility that just made me scratch my head.

will all these pieces work together?

and could someone explain the reason in easy baby language :bassist: .

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    What ohms does your head put out? It should say so many watts at 8 ohms, so many at 4 ohms, etc. Also, what is the minimum safe ohm load your head can handle? It should say on the back of the head or in the manual.

Then, what ohms are your 210 and 15 cabs at?

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A GK 800RB can handle 4 ohms minimum on the "low" side, and 8 ohms minimum on the "high" side.

The answer depends on the impedance of your cabs.

4. I'm sure there are those who own the amp who can more specifically answer your question, but I'll try.

If both of your speaker cabinets are 8 ohm cabinets, you should be able to run them both at the same time. If they are 4 ohm cabinets you may not be able to. If I recall, the 800 is a bi-amp head which has a 300 watt amp and a 100 watt amp (or something about that). I am guessing, but if the different amps will handle a 4 ohm load then you can run one cab (if its 4 ohm) with the bigger amp and one with the smaller wattage side. USUALLY, the smaller wattage amp is rated at 8 ohms so you really shouldn't run a 4 ohm cab on it.

Sooo, again, if both cabs are 8 ohm (look on the jack plate on the speaker) you can run them together on the main wattage part of the amp. if they are both 4 ohm you can't run them on the same part of the bi-amp, but might be able to put one on the (assuming) Low amp and one on the High amp. BTW, if one cab is 8 and one is 4 you may be able to put the 4 ohm on the Low amp and the 8 on the high. Hope someone else can confirm or deny!

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    800RB Specifications

POWER <1% THD: Low-300W@4ohm, 200W@8ohm, 1kHz -- High-100W@8ohm, 1kHz

OUTPUT: Footswitchable Boost, Switchable Cross-Over and High and Low Masters
    DIRECT OUT: XLR
    PATCHING: Send and Return
    SPEAKER OUTPUT: Two 1/4" jacks for 300W Amp and One 1/4" jack for 100W Amp

115RBH Specifications

IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
    POWER RATING: 400 Watts
    WOOFER: 1xGK-Paragon 15B400-8, Cast Frame, 15", 400W High Presence Voice Coil
    TWEETER: GK-Paragon 5H50-8
    FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB

CONNECTORS: 1xHMS Compatible Bi-Amp/Full Range Speakon, 1x1/4" (Full Range Only)

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

i'm looking at the NEO. says it can come in 4 or 8 ohms???? i don't know what that is all about.....

:help:

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You'll need an 8 ohm 2x10 if you want to pair it with the 15 incher. A pair of 8 ohm cabs equals a 4 ohm load, just as a pair of 4 ohm cabs equal a 2 ohm load. It's basically that simple.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea it's that easy, until you mix and match a 4 and an 8 then it is 2.7Ohm which is fine for an amp that handles 2Ohm

But his amp can't handle 2Ohm so ask Dave for an 8Ohm 2x10 Neo and you will be set. It should sound great when it is all said and done. I haven't tried the Neo's yet so hopefully they are as good or better than my Delta's

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    thanks for the help guys. i still don't really get it. i'm at work so i can't think about it really. i'm going to look at this again when i get home and make sure i understand it. please check this thread again later.

9. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    so do i need to plug both of the 8 ohm cabs into the 4 ohm jacks in the back? i guess this will blend the volumes equally
    ?

can i use my bi-amp feature with these cabs? i was hopeing to have 3/4 of my volume coming from the 15 and 1/4 coming from the 10s.

here is a pic of the back

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/images/hires/frontrearpics/800rb_rp2.jpg

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    By looking at the front on the website you can do this 3/4 on the 15" and 1/4 on the 2x10 setup by plugging in the 2x10 into the SPKR HI out and the 15 into the SPEAKERS LO jack

The front of the amp has volume controls for both so you can set them to however you like.

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ha ha why is the speaker low the louder of the two? sorry i'm new at this :meh:

12. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    It will seperate the 2 so you can have individual volume knobs for the 2 cabs as well as the Master volume. Once you hook them up like that you'll see what I mean.

Ah, the joys of bass amp configuring :)

13. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah i'm down with that. but why is speaker low louder? and what is an ohm and how does it relate to volume and watts?

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    It isn't louder, you can turn the volume up on the low speaker, and turn the hi down with the 2x10 to get the sound you want. By having them seperated like that you can play with different volumes to blend them together how you like it.

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    can i plug both 8 ohm cabs into the 4 ohm jacks in the back to blend equal?

what if i switch and put the 15 in the high and the 10s in the low?

:bassist: :confused: :bassist:

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yes, if both cabs are plugged into the 4Ohm jacks the volume will be equal

By switching the 2 around it won't do much, but the hi speaker out might not have the low-end that your 15 can deliver, which is why the 2x10 would be better for the hi speaker out.

The best thing to do is try out different set-ups to see how you like it and refer to the manual to tell you what the hi and lo speaker outs do differently.

17. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i think i am good for my gear. thanks!