Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about running an active bass through a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 7, 2002.

1. The bass I'm getting already has a preamp built in...but I want a Sadowsky preamp to give me that deep growl you get with it.

Question --

If I ran it through the Sadowsky preamp..would I still get a better tone? Or should I just get the onboard Sadowsky preamp, which I most likely will.

Just wondering.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If the bass has a pre amp on/off switch, put it on "off".

If the controls are cut & boost, leave them flat (in the middle) or just use both & see what you like best.

3. I guess what I'm asking is...could I use 2 preamps basicly.

Or just use the on board preamp to mess with the controls..and run it through the Sadowsky preamp just to get a different tone.

Again, I'm just curious.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, you could use both pre-amps.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Every time you plug your active bass into an amp, you are using two preamps - one on your bass, and one on your amp. No problem in doing that.

6. *Argh*

Okay. Preamps give you a different tone even if the tone controls are on neutral, correct?

I'm asking if you could use a 2nd preamp just to give your tone a boost.

7. Whatever tone you get with your on-board preamp can be further "manipulated" through the second preamp.

8. *Kisses your foot*

THANK YOU