Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about running in stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hello all. I have a dilema in that I have an Ampeg B2R with a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT410-HLF (or whatever you call it - a 4X10 cab). I really would like to add a single 15" speaker just to round out the bottom end a bit, but due to the impedance configuration possibilities of the amp, my only choice is to find a 4 ohm 1X15 cabinet, or get rid of my 4 ohm SVT cab and replace it with an 8 ohm cab (unless somebody thinks it's really Ok to have an impedance mismatch where the amp is 4-ohms & the speaker load is 2.something ohms).

I do have an Ampeg BA115 100 watt combo amp. I already *think* the answer is "try and and see", but, I went to radio shack and bought a stereo "Y" cable with the intention of trying the BA115 in stereo with the B2R/SVT410-HLF. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is simply the logistics that my practice amp and gigging amp are in 2 different places.

Any thoughts, experiences, "gotcha's" that I would need to know about with regard to running 2 amps in stereo would be greatly appreciated. Also, since both amps have XLR outs, would I simply run both to the board and mix them?

Also I am new to playing bass, so be honest - if Ampeg is a "joke" to *real* bass players - just let me know. I personally like the tone Ok - just haven't taken the time to really try some others like Trace-Elliott, SWR, Gallien-Krueger, etc.

Thanks - Skel

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    You can't combine your 4-ohm 410 with ANY other cabinet with that head. Combining 2 4-ohm cabs makes a 2 ohm load, and the b2-r is only rated down to 4 ohms. 2 ohms will cook it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What he said. However, running two amps that way is often done and should give you what you want. You would probably only need to run one DI line out, though. You can run two, but that seems a bit excessive to me.

Also, by far Ampeg is not considered a joke. As a matter of fact, Ampeg is considered the grandaddy of bass amps, and many people to this day use them. Look on TV shows like Letterman and Conan and check out how many people use them. I would still be using Ampegs if they weren't so heavy!

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ampeg is no joke at all. The B2R head isn't all that loud but it is a great sounding head and unless you need to knock the walls down, it's giggable.

As an experiment, you can to try taking the effects loop out to the input of the combo. If the combo has an eff loop, start by using the effects loop return. Get the wiring done prior to turining anything on. You want to minimize any nasty transient 'pop's ... With each amp's volume ALL THE WAY DOWN, turn on the B2R, then the combo. Bring up the ol on the B2R and then slowly bring up the combo. If you get nada, then turn everything off, turn the vol's back down, and try the instrument input of hte combo. Go slowly.

While it may be an interesting experiment, the combo isn't going to have the guts to keep up with your B2R at volume so this is not really a useable combination.

In your shoes, I'd dump the 4x10 and migrate towards a 1x15 and 2x10 setup or a pair of 1x15's or 1x12's. I'm a JBL bigot. The B2R and a pair of proper 1x15's with JBL's would work for me just fine.

Another thought would be a Bergi 6x10. The sealed design would be a nice compliment to the Ampeg tonally. Should provide a nice vintage vibe. I head one of these with a 300 watt Ashdown head. It sounded extremely good to me. I'm not sure how far up that head was though. At 100 db rated efficiency, the NV610 should be pretty loud with a B2R. Not an inexpensive cab but then you would only need one...

Any cab's you consider need to be 8 ohm cabs as your amp isn't happy below 4 ohms. Sustained use below there will lead to smoke ... Those cab's also need to be efficient as the B2R isn't all that strong.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - well, it's good to know Ampeg is still somewhat respecticable. I will try pretty much everything suggested, but for some reason I really like the idea of two JBL 15" cabs. (gotta go buy more stuff on eBay!) The 4X10 sounds quite good but it's simply lacking something, especially with my Ric. I was dumb enough to listen to my drummer and run an 8 ohm 1X15 cab in parallel with the 4X10 for a couple of practices. Luckily it didn't smoke the amp, and the tone was really improved - I don't know how much of it had to do with with the amp running so "hot". I finally just did the math for myself, as well as call Ampeg to verify the "no no". I had a hard time convincing this guy that I was right about the impedance mismatch - some people just don't have a clue about electronics, but they *think* they do, which is when it gets weird. I *have* heard though (and believe) that it's Ok to have a small impedance mismatch the other way around, when the speaker impedance is higher than the amp's impedance, but I figure the smartest thing to do is just make things match.

Thanks for the great help.

Skel

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Respecticable? Good one. Can I say "proof read"? Sorry!

Skel

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I am going to try this running the "send" from my B2R into the input of my BA115 (no effects loop), but just out of curiosity, why is this a better idea than just using a stereo "Y" cable and running to both amps?

Also - I had mentioned in an another thread that I was struggling with my Stingray because of the "clickiness" I was getting. As of lastnight, I tried running into the -15 dB input, instead of the normal input (on my BA115) and even though I had to turn the amp up a bit to compensate, the clickiness was dramatically reduced. I am quickly falling in love with my Stingray - sounds like the best precision, jazz, and RIC 4003 all put together. So, stupid question, but - does everybody that has active pickups use the attenuated input of their amp?

Skel

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That way you can set your tone, gain, etc, all from the b2-r, which, imo, has a better sounding preamp. Set all the tone controls on the ba close to flat, compensating if need be, but try to use the b2-r to set your basic tone as much as possible.

As for the stingray, I'm not suprised the padded input works better. A lot of active players use it. I do, for the most part. Also, some clicking may be coming from your technique. Try to work that out now, before it's too late. Best of luck!

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Dan1099 - thanks for the input! It sounds like this could actually work, at least at lower volumes. I might actually be pleasantly surprised and be able to salvage all this into something I really like. Yea - the -15dB input helps a lot with the clicking, but you are right about my technique being part of it.

Honestly though - just with using the -15dB input - I could get away with it. Plus, I can tell that I am just subconsciously modifying my technique the more I play the Stingray (which is already so much more fun!).

Thanks - Skel