1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about S-1 switch on my MIA Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bthrem, Jun 14, 2007.

1. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    All,

Just bought a used 2004 American Jazz at GC that plays great, but I think something might be wrong with the S-1 switching system.

When the switch is up (parallel mode), I thought the bass was supposed to act like a regular Jazz with the first vol knob controlling the neck pickup and the second vol knob controlling the bridge pickup. While the second knob does seem to lower and raise the vol of the bridge pickup, the first knob seems to act as a master volume. Specifically, if turn the first vol knob all the way down, the bass is silent. Net, I cannot blend pickup volumes nor can I solo the bridge pickup (a classic Jazz sound).

I know in series mode (S-1 switch down) the 2nd vol does nothing, but I thought with it up it would behave like a regular Jazz.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    If it is in series, it cant act as a normal jazz, because a normal jazz is parallel

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You're right, it should behave like a regular Jazz with the switch up. Must be a wiring problem, and since you bought it recently GC should fix it for no charge. It's probably a quick fix.

4. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Stopped by Sam Ash and played one of their MIA Jazz's. Confirmed it's NOT behaving correctly. Got the schematic form Fender's site and will attempt to repair myself. If I can't, back to GC it goes.

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Good thinking. If it's a good one otherwise, doing the fix yourself will preclude the possibility of them MESSING IT UP. :)

6. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I have the same bass and had the same exact problem. Pulled the control cover and found that it was indeed wired incorrectly. It was only one wire that was wrong but it did put a monkey in the wrench. Fixed it myself with about $.05 of solder and it works like a charm now.

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    No offense but for the $$ they charge, you would think they could wire them correctly. :meh:

8. My Jag had two wires crossed in the active control section.

9. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    According to the schematic, I have 2 wires out of place. I'll fix tomorrow morning. I just have to wonder if the previous owner did it or if it came from the factory that way.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021