1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about Sadowskys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masher88, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Are Sadowsky basses made from off the shelf parts, like Warmoth or AllParts etc. or do they cut the bodies and necks themselves? I don't intend this to be a slam or anything. I've never played a Sadowsky, but from what I hear, they are fantastic.

I just like to know things.:)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are made from pre existing parts. (see other responses below)

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    manufactured to Roger's exacting specs and only available on a Sadowsky or direct from them.

4. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    They only use exclusive top notch suppliers. Very well made, and fantistic instruments.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Maybe O/T, I needed a truss rod adjustment on mine and Roger (not personally) gave me *one* person in Denver he trusted just to do that.

6. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    We do not use any "pre-existing" off the shelf parts. All of our bodies and necks are CNC'd by my subcontractors to Sadowsky specs.

Roger

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I knew i should have phrased that better. I didn't want it to seem like you go to a website and select your parts. I'm aware that they are to your specs and made for you. Sorry about the ambiguity.

Sadowskys are top notch. I have never experienced one that was of lower quality than the next. Very good quality control.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    This question will probably just keep coming up.

All I can say is that one REALLY needs to pick up and play an actual Sadowsky. It takes about 2 seconds to feel and see that there is no Warmoth fare here. They are very carefully made. Roger is a Jazz Bass "expert," and his basses strongly reflect that influence. However, it is a mistake to get their appearance confused with parts basses.

9. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Sadowskys are sweet basses. the few ive played felt, looked and sounded great.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Fit, finish, and overall quality are second to none. Sadowskys (most models) have the Fender look, but a distinct tone... Fender-ish, but noticeably different. If you buy a Sadowsky expecting the traditional Fender sound then you might be disappointed. Or... you might like it better. It's often said that Sadowsky basses shine especially well in the mix, and as a Sadowsky owner I am not going to argue. :)

The typical next question: "are Sadowskys worth the money?" For those satisfied with Fender fit and finish, the answer might be no. But for those who appreciate the finer details: tight neck pocket, immaculate fretwork, etc... they are worth every penny.

11. Does this end this freakin' thread now?!?!?!
    Does this put an end to these questions?!?!

Like your Chevy Envoy/Saturn VUE??
    Not even built by GM (not even built in the USA BTW). Not one bit of tooling is owned by GM.
    Until the truck/SUV is loaded on a truck and shipped to a dealer, it's not owned by GM, but no one questions this one bit at all.

But let Sadowsky do exactly the same type of thing and it comes into question.

They are at the VERY top of the Jazz Bass style of bass for a reason.
    Because they are high quality, expertly built basses period.

After a certain point (and this I'm assuming here) Roger & Co. could not meet the demand and had to out source some of the work.
    Now, as long as the quality of the work is as good (if not better) than which could be produced in house, than what the hell is the stinkin' problem?!?????!?!!!
    Please explain it to me?!?

There is a REAL well kept secret (well, trying to be well kept!!)that the PRIMERE bass builder (with a 2+ year waiting list) is now "outsourcing" and trying as hard as they can via lawyers and such to keep it as quiet as they can.

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    When done correctly (like Roger is), CNC is a beautiful thing that takes hand carftsmanship to a new level. Don't be fooled into equating CNC with inferrior products, even though some of the 'handmade' boutique builders would try and lead you to think that way

Truly handmade basses have an inherant accuracy limit that cannot obtain the consistent quality control provided by CNC. The aerospace industry utilizes CNC for a reason - they machine parts to tolerances tighter than .001" (a number nearly impossible to consistently reach with truly hand built parts.) A large benefit of CNC produced parts can be lost, however, due to running the CNC machinery at a higher feed rate ... the trade-off then becomes one of fewer parts at tighter tolerances vs more parts at looser tolerances.

my hat's off to Roger for continually producing a super and consistent product!

all the best,

R

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Steve Wishnevsky?

14. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    LOLOL!! Riot!!! :D

15. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    Didn't realize anybody had a problem and I thought that was pretty clearly stated in the first post. The guy just wanted to know if all of the parts were made in house or not, Roger replied and now everybody who was not aware of that heard it straight from the man. If it's not that big of a deal, which everybody seems to agree, why make mention of the "Premier" bass builder doing the same thing?

16. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    bah, does it matter really. It just saves a lot of time doing an unrewarding job (hacking big lumps of wood wouldn't be my idea of fun), and allows the builders to spend more time and energy on the more important details. You get your bass quicker, and they can produce more at a more consistant quality. Everyone's a winner in my opinion.

If they didn't have CNCs, you wouldn't know the difference anyway. They would build the instruments to exactly the same specs (albeit in a less chirurgical, more 'charming' fashion).

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Yeah, mention the builder otherwise within the context of this thread, it makes it sound like Sadowsky is doing so.

18. Maj. Lee FUBAR

Maj. Lee FUBAR Supporting Member

Word of the day. Had never seen that word in my life, so I had to look it up. It means of or relating to surgery, i.e. SURGICAL.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky Basses Rock M'Kay ! :bassist:

20. Sorry, having a bad day already and took it out here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.