Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question About Setting Up Pyro

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's this nagging question I have had ever since the tragic night club fire which took 96 lives. The club owners say they never gave permission for the pyro. Other clubs where Great White played recently including one very near me Florida have piped up saying the band used pyro without permission in their clubs too.

My question is this: How can the band set up pyro before the show and NOBODY notice? For example a club owner on TV said he was so surpirised and angry when Great White's pyro went off even though the rider made no mention of the plan to use it. But where was he or his club manager when the band set up the pyro? I mean wouldn't you notice that set ups for pyro were being installed and wouldn't you then say, "Hey! You don't and we don't have a license for that and you may not use it"?

I realize that what is going on now is the "blame game" and the "he said; we said" game. Nobody is going to step up and risk lawsuits and jail time for criminal negligence and admit they were the one person who allowed the pyro even though no license existed for it in that tiny club.

But I still come back to this same haunting question...didn't any employee, manager or owner of that club NOTICE that some member of the Great White crew was setting up pyro. I mean wouldn't it be pretty obvious that a pyro setup would be different from the usual activity of setting up sound equipment and music gear?

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    All of the pyro equipment I have ever seen was no bigger than 4-5" tall. Might be hard to notice. Theres some stupid ass all-female kiss tribute around here that we got stuck sharing a gig with once not too long ago. They had all kinds of pyro to use, smoking guitar pickup, a large spark throwing things off the headstock, among other things. My band managed to play till about 1:45 am, so they didn't get to use any, thankfully. I have read on their site that they have been using the stuff at other recent gigs, and also read that they recently fired a rocket off of a guitar indoors. I am 100% positive, that all of this has been going on without the clubs permission, and no training whatsoever. I gave them quite a bit of hell the night they go on our bill about the pyro being a BAD idea, but they either didn't care, or seemed to think they were brilliant enough to pull it off without incident. I have been considering contacting a fire official concerning this, but haven't decided yet. Should I?

On a side note, here is a copy my bro found of the current Great White rider, pretty interesting.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/greatwhite1.html