Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, May 31, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    what exactly does it mean to get your bass setup?
    and is $40 a good price for this? my bass rattles quite a bit and from the little i know about this, getting my bass setup could get rid of this rattling. i really just want to know what i'm paying for here and if this will fix the problem. :confused:

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    thanks. now i'm worried if they will do everything and not just #4 and 7. i'm getting it done at sam ash.

3. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I believe this "rattling" is due to improper installation of the E string... I cut it to short. I may just get a new set of strings instead of getting a complete setup and see if that works.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    This is also true in my neck of the woods... There's a couple of custom luthiers in my area, & these are the only guys I let touch my stuff... I'd encourage you to look in the phone book for either a custom builder/luthier. They might charge you a bit more, but you'll have quality service....

5. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I did this and it rattles just the same.

I'm definetly sure I didnt install the string right.. the part of the string where it gets noticably gets thinner (Ernie Ball Strings) is on the fretboard. It's supposed to be on the other side of the nut where the tuning pegs are.

The rattling isn't very noticeable anymore, but it doesnt help that I use a pick.

: ) Thanks for your help.

6. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004