Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about shipping to Australia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Had a question concerning a ebay auction. They asked how much for shipping and told me the bass would have to be dismantled because of shipping restrictions. Anyone ever heard of that?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've never heard of it. Indeed when I worked for a company that imported all sorts of music equipment, the guitars and basses were in tact and in cardboard boxes.

3. I have heard about this actually, basically only the neck and body are unattached (assuming its a bolt-on of course) all other hardware remains attached.

From what ive heard shipping from the US to Australia is about $US200-$250 or so. But when shipped in two pieces it falls to about $US50-$100.

Also, If a bass is shipped its liable for duties and taxes. But i think bass parts would not be.. so your buy would not have to pay the Duties etc.

Anyway let us know how it pans out!
    Good Luck!

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got a quote for 245.00 for shipping to Queensland. For a 119.00 bass it would not be a good deal for him. Something vintage or super high end-maybe.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That sounds high. I'm getting quotes on importing raw speakers at the moment and they're comming in between $70 and $110US. Admittedly smaller, but they would be heavier.

It doesn't sound like a good deal - Unless it's one of those basses that sells for $119 in the US but $900 in Australia. There's plenty of those..........

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That is what DHL came back with on their website. I would love to have sold it, but I wouldn't want to pay that much shipping on an inexpensive bass.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Gazman is pretty much spot on. The reason shipping a bass to Australia is over $200US in one piece is because the average shape of a packed bass exceeds the "size limits" of air mail packages, thus getting you into "oversize" shipping costs. The weight really doesnt seem to matter as its the physical size of the package that costs so much.

If you remove the neck and body and ship them as two separate parts, the costs wil be around $90US to ship a bass to Australia. I can verify this because I had it done about a month ago with two basses. Both arrived hassle free with no GST or customs duty paid on them.

For a $119 bass (SX no doubt) you can get them in Australia for $300, so its probably not worth the hassle unless its a moddel that cant be bought in Australia (ie the fretless). However for pretty much any other bass worth over a few hundred, buy it used in the states. Thus ends my rant....

8. How is it best to divide the insured value of each half? It seems logical the neck is worth less than the body, correct?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Mine were done 50/50. It really depends on the bass. Ie an MTD body is worth quite a bit more than the neck, but where you have relatively inexpensive basses, 50/50 seems appropriate.