Question about soundposts.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Michael Case, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Without taking the strings off my bass and making it fall over, how would I know if my soundpost is to tight? I've had it adjusted twice since purchasing my bass, but other than the bill I really never felt it's been touched.

Plus, could the soundpost affect a wolf? I've got a nasty A-Bb wolf that makes arco unbearable without the eliminator, but the pizz sound gets squashed with it on.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have paid twice and are still wondering, perhaps you should find a luthier who engenders a greater degree of trust.

I am no expert in such matters but my understanding and experience is that the tightness of the soundpost should be evaluated by a qualified luthier who performs the fit and positioning, of course, with the strings removed. That individual will assess the characteristics of the instrument and also take into account the climate(s) in which it will be used in order to determine the appropriate degree of "tightness."

The only way I know of determining any of this when the bass is under the tension of the strings is after a mistake has been made. Specifically, when you see the soundpost pushing through the top or back or perhaps when your sound post moves around "on it own" even when under tension.
  3. Actually I wouldn't question the luthier in my case. I know work was done and done well. The two times I've had my post worked on I also had other work done on my bass. The first time my post was done (along with other set-up work) I had no idea how to get a sound, they could've switched my bass with a 100+year old bass and it wouldn't have sounded different in my hands. The second time I had a new bridge cut for my bass so that made it hard to tell.
    I'm actually very happy with the sound of my bass, I'm listening back to the recording of the lesson I had today and she sounds as good as I thought, even better. My reason for posting had more to do with wolf tone elimination. I was hoping to try and remove my wolf with out the eliminator, but listening back I really don't think I need to worry about it.
    Thanks for your response,
  4. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    You can't eliminate a wolf...but you can hide it (or diminish it if you can't hide it). The idea behind "hiding" it is to put it in between notes so that you only hit it if you are playing out of tune.
  5. Is this where tailpiece placement comes in? My wolf resides on Bb and A.