Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about soundproofing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 29, 2002.

1. i live in a semi-detached house and my room is right next to my neighbours room so naturally thier round complaining virtually all the time about the noise, and yedterday the thaught came into my head about soundproofing my room and i just have a few questions about it:

1. is it true that egg boxes work to soundproof a room, if not, what does?

2. how much would it cost to soundproof?

3. if you soundproof the walls whats to stop the sound going through the floors, windows and the ceiling/or how do u stop it going through the floor, ceiling and windows?

4. would u still be able to have shelves up on the walls

5. would it stop the noise going out altogether or would it just dim it

i think thats about it, hope someone can answear these!

l8rz

Tom

2. headphones

3. headphones are all well and good SOME of the time, but things like jaming and listening to music are kind of annoying with headphones, plus i have many an ear piercing which can get irritated whilst wearing headpones

4. Yeah I could see where it could be a problem for pierced ears, and I agree they do get uncomfortable and hot after a while. But soundproofing gets expensive. Cheapest solution I ever found was fiberboard ceiling(the ones for Drop ceilings) tiles with foam egg crate pads(the kind you put on a mattress, you see them in hospital beds) glued on, and that’s still expensive.
    Or you could get a football helmet and wear the headphones over it.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My neighbor, a full time pro drummer, converted his second floor master bedroom to a studio. He went to great expense to line the walls and cover the window with expensive studio grade cork.

Guess what? I STILL hear his bass drum. I can even hear the bass guitar and guitar when his band rehearses.

Worse, we live in separate houses. Yet, even the neighbors across the street complain.

My point? Egg boxes won't cut it. I also question that they may be a fire hazard. Furthermore, sound flies right through glass. If you plan to do any sound baffling, you'll need to cover any windows. If you are on a second floor, you will need to have sound proofing on your floor too. You may have to cover your ceiling too.

You asked if you could still have shelves. Yes. Put the sound proofing against the wall BEHIND the shelves. You want to keep sound from getting out, but are not concerned about keeping it in with you.

I assume your concern is to keep the neighbors happy. You are not trying to build a sound proof recording studio to keep extraneous sound OUT of your room.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a cheap solution to your problem. Do a search here, though, as similar questions have been asked before. Maybe someone had an answer you could use.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only way to truly soundproof a room is to totally isolate it from the rest of the structure.

Several years back, my band recorded at Patrick McGuire studio in Arlington, TX, which was in Pat's house. He had converted his 2 car garage by building a floor above the slab, and then building a room within a room, inside the garage. When you went from the inside of the house to the studio(garage), you went through 3 doorways, all of which were closed off when in session. You could stand inside the house, with all 3 doors closed, and barely hear the cranked guitar or kick drum. I mean very faintly. Patrick lives in an upscale neighborhood. The soundproofing is done so well, that if you are outside the garage and more than 5 or 10 feet away from it, you could hear nothing, even when everything was cranked.

I forget how much exactly all of this cost, but it was over $20K, IIRC, just for the structure, not including the cost of the soundproofing.

7. WOW! Sounds like headphones are the answer - could you find somewhere else for loud practice?... or ask your neighbour if there is a time that would suit him when he's always out?

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    We have a full theatre in our house which is soundproofed the same way a studio is. You know how it's down? Walls almost a foot and a half thick with about 5 layers of acoustics, soundproofing, insulation, special sheetrock, etc etc. It REALLY takes a lot of work to properly sound proof a room. We can still hear it the sound a little bit sometimes, because of the doors. It's EXTREMELY hard to make a totally soundproof room, and really, really expensive.

However, you can partially soundproof your room a lot of ways, including just putting acoustical foam on all the walls, but no matter what it won't fully soundproof. That's probably the easiest start, though. It'll probably cost a hundred or two for all the paneling...maybe more.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The only way to stop sound is with mass, eg concrete or sand. I heard Will Lee soundproofed his New York apartment by having a second wall made and filling the space in between with sand. Egg Cartons won't do much to stop the sound from going through the walls, they just keep the sound from echoing within the room.

10. Hey I figured it out.
    It's simple, buy them headphones!

:D

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I actually rehearsed a few times in a building that had egg carton lined walls. These were the old fashioned paper egg cartons, not the new plastic foam ones. I wondered where they found all those cartons. But guess what? Those egg cartons didn't do a dad gum thing to keep sound in the room. If they served any purpose, it may have been to keep reverb down. It was not a recording studio anyway. It was for rehearsals. Those paper egg cartons totally did not stop sound leakage, not even a little.

Whatever you try, be very careful about creating a fire hazard. Don't cover heating ducts or electrical outlets. Don't have cables and wiring running between walls and your insulation. I'm certain there are codes about building walls over walls, etc. If you have the bucks, ask a professional to help you to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Or,hey! Just buy some darned good earphones as several others suggested here.