1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about speaker connections?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Electricblue, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    Hi guys, this isn't really about bass guitar but it's the most relevant topic, I think.

I run a 2 x 150w power amp with 4 pioneer floorstanding speakers. I'm familiar with impedance and whatnot, so I've got that all covered :bassist:

Thing is, I managed to butcher the ground binding post on the left channel, which makes it hard to connect any wires to it.

Could I connect Left and Right grounds to the Right ground connection, and leave the + connections in their previous (correct) positions, or would that mess things up?

Thanks guys!

2. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    It deepends on the amplifier. Some need an independent ground, some don't.

You could probably find out by messuring the ground on both channels on the amp. I would not take the chance. Fix the speaker instead.

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The connection is most likely not "ground" and they are likely not connected to each other.

Don't do it without seeing the schamatic.

4. Do you mean you've knackered the negative? (speaker cabinets don't tend to have a ground)

5. +1 and of course the best fix would be to replace the damaged binding post.

6. Most binding posts will accept a banana plug. Using them negates the need for wrapping wire around the post. You should be able to get these at a good consumer electronics store.

7. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I don't know if it's technically ground, but the negative post.

Looks like the only option is to replace the post? I don't really want to spend a lot of money, and these ones don't accept a banana plug. I use 2 core mains cable for my speakers, so it should be fine. Replacement post it is! Thanks guys :bassist:

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    'Ground' is a power supply connection- speakers have a positive and a negative, used to determine the direction the cone travels when it receives a positive voltage.

You can buy individual binding posts, joined pairs or terminal cups with binding posts from Parts Express. They're not always expensive, but they can be. Don't bother spending a lot of money if you don't want to.