Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about speaker: moving to much?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 29, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi!

i just re-wired my rig, ading a dbx stereo EQ and stereo compressor, using the EQ as a crossover (1 side low-pass. other side high pass) from the 2 outputs in my SWR grand prix. with a yamaha 500+500 power amp im powering a SWR goliath jr (2x10) and a yamaha 1x18.

i just noticed that the speakers in the SWR cab moves a LOT more than they used to, and they still have the same volumen. maybe they always did but i just noticed? (i dont think so).

i tryed bypassing both EQ`s and compressors and it still did the same, i tryed changing the outputs form the power amp, and the SWR still did it.

it does it only in the attack on each note i play.
    if any one has any input or thing i should check, i would be very thannkful!!!

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    should iworry about this? or is it normal and should go on playing?

it doesnt alter the sound, but since im sendng only post 300Hz i dont know if i should SEE it moving

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    did you see the contradiction? this statement implies to me that "what it is doing" vs. "What you think it should do" are two different things.

recheck your wireing and reread the owners manual for both dbx units.

NO YOU SHOULD NOT BE SEEING THE SWR SPEAKER MOVE MUCH. the simple fact that they are moving MORE than they use to should be a clue that something is not right.

oh, what are the model #'s of the dbx equipment?

good luck...

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey, thanks for the help!
    but yesterday just figure out what was wrong.
    i used to use a crossover, which cuts a lot of dB per octave, now im using the dbx as the crossover, which olnly cuts 12 db`s, so i was actualkly sending some low end!
    the dbx has a high pass filter which was off, i set it on and it worked just fine!!

5. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    A quick question, if you used to have a proper crossover, what in the world inspired you go get rid of it and to go to this utter kludge? Use one EQ and then the crossover, and it would seem that the solution would be far better than either that you have tried . . . . . ? ? ? ? ?

- Tim

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    kludge?

:eyebrow:

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i dont have enogh space in my rack, and also: i want to try different wiring settings and alternatives to archive different results!