Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about speaker sensitivity, and pairing up cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, May 22, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've been active on this board lately, in the quest for the ultimate rig. Anyway, does speaker sensitivity make much difference when pairing up cabs? For instance, what are the consequences of matching up a cab with 99db 1W 1M to a cab rated at 103db 1W 1M? Or a more drastic diffrence like 90db to 103db?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my questions. I have been rethinking (obsessing over) my rig the last month and the input I received was great.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You are just describing a situation where one cab will be louder than the other; nothing more or less.

If you drive them both full range it shouldn't be any problem at all. If you are biamped, the high and low sides will be different volumes unless you compensate with your power amp settings.

I biamp and have that problem; I set the volume on my low box about 6db higher than my high box; problem solved.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What he said.

At least you found cabs that were referenced the same way. It gets tricky when one is 98 dB-SPL 1W 1m and one is 76 dB-SPL 1mW 4ft. (Or some such nonsense.)

If anyone needs the math for that, let me know. It's not that complicated, but it's not "duh" simple, either. ;)

4. When you mis-match cabs in such a way, one will be louder than the other when they are wired in parallel or series to the same mono amp. Use a stereo amp and run it dual-mono and this will take care of the volume imbalance.