Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimbo04, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    I've got a question. Recently my speaker developed a buzz. Is it possible to just replace the speaker, or do I have to go out and buy a new cab? If it is possible, any idea of where to start,etc? Thanks.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You can just replace the speaker. Depending on what kind it is, you either order from a dealer, the manufacture directly, or a speaker warehouse. You want to try to put the exact model speaker back in because the cab is made for it.

3. Open the cab up and write down all the info on speaker, then post it in this thread. There's a good chance that one of the gearhounds here will be able to tell you who manufactured the speaker, when, and where you can get a replacement or reasonable fascimile thereof.

4. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    thanks a lot

5. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    Well, I opened it up, and all I found was a faded label that I can only read half of. I know it's 100 W and 4 ohms, but that probably doesn't help much. Does anybody know what I need? It's a Fender Sidekick 100 Bass, if that helps.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not familiar with that amp but if it's preowned the speaker may not be original anyway. If it has a speaker out jack, I'd try it into another cab/speaker - just to make sure it's the speaker. Or just runs leads to another speaker since apparently you've got it cracked open anyway. Keep the volume down and pull the leads off the old speaker and alligator clip to them or whatever. Or you can run wires from a stereo to that speaker to check it out. Just make sure you now you're problem before you fix it, and don't assume anything.

In all probability the speaker will be an eminence with a 67 code. You can email Fender and/or there are sites that list the speakers placed in given Fender cabs.

7. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    One more question: how much does a replacement 15" usually cost? I'm not really familiar with speakers at all if you couldn't tell. I saw in another thread that they cost like $150 in which case I could probably just get a whole cab from e-bay for that much. what's your guys' opinions?

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

A decent 15 will cost at least $75 on ebay as a rule. And you'll pay at least $15-$30 to ship it, depending on weight, distance, and carrier.
    4 ohm 15's aren't rare but not real common so that could pose a problem. Another problem you may have is finding a 15" in the 100 watt range, unless you get into something older. And finding old 4 ohms, is a tad scarce.

If you decide to go with a new speaker, I sold most my speakers but I've got a new 4 ohm 15 I'd sell for what I've got in it + actual shipping (I'd have to look, little over $100) but it's 300 watts continuous and you'd have to watch your amp for clipping. But it's an extremely efficient speaker so you'll notice a definite increase in volume and it drops to 35 Hz (your current speaker probably didn't drop below 50 Hz). It's made by Celestion for Fender BXR amps. I've kept it because it's a decent sounding speaker but I had the Klispch reconed and they're 4 ohm/500 watt so I really don't need it. But it's a speaker you'd probably want to keep when it's time for the amp to move on. END OF COMMERCIAL (hey, it's America, what'd you expect).

The other thing you have to watch on ebay with speakers is junk. I've bought 17 15" speakers off ebay, 5 of them were junk. Some were high dollar junk! A pair of JBL K145's for $400. Fortunately this guy was reputable enough to give a full refund + shipping both ways. He wasn't reputable enough to either actually test the speakers before listing or listing them as in need of recone. On a pair of Klipsch, I simply got clipped, he he he (ala credit card theft commercial).

9. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    If I have a 400 watt head (probably the reason my speaker blew out), 300 watts wouldn't be a problem, right? I'm definitely interested in this speaker. What I want is a pretty cheap replacement that's not total crap. It sounds like what you have might work for me. My e-mail is skaboy11@hotmail.com . E-mail me about prices and such, and let's talk.

10. Do a search for Avatar Speakers and get their phone # or E mail them for a price.The 15s they use are Eminence Kappa Pro LF,600 watt cast frame.They have great prices,I've bought raw speakers and speaker cabinets from them and they are great to deal with.Go to their web site and click on the replacement speaker link.Also the 15s they have right now are 4 ohm. George(Blues Bass 2)

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Jimbo, is this the sidekick cabinet that has the tiltback speaker design? If so I have the same thing. I roasted the speaker the day my 5 string arrived. :bawl: I replaced the blown speaker with the Carvin PB15C-8 ohm which is their heavier duty speaker (cast frame). I did have to rout out the speaker hole for it to fit properly. It has worked great for the last 4 years. If cost is a factor they also sell PS 15 which has a frame more like the original speaker in my cab and is a bit cheaper, but it is also 8 ohms. If you wish to get maximum power from your 4 ohm amp you may want to get a 4 ohm speaker. I bought 8 ohm because I use other cabinets at the same time and two 8 ohm cabs run paralel equal 4 ohms. I would advise that if you don't have the tools to rout the speaker to not get a cast frame speaker. Also, you might try tightening all the speaker screws before you replace the speaker, it might solve your problem. I had to do this when I bought the cabinet and it solved a rattle problem I had. :D

12. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    Yes it is the tiltback design. What does cast frame mean? If a replacement is castframe, does that mean I'll have to rout out my speaker hole, too? Oh, and I don't think it's the screws, because I dismounted it and it still has a buzz. Actually, it only buzzes around my low A range. Is that unusual?

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Remember what I said about making sure it's the speaker? Does your bass buzz unplugged?

Cast frame is just the method of manfacture of the speaker basket, it has nothing to do with a need for routing. Manufacturers give the dimensions on their baskets, so you want one the same size you already have and make sure the bolt pattern is the same, if you don't want to make alterations. Most 15" Speaker frames are pretty standard but not all.

I was thinking you had an amp not a cab. So you could use a 4 or 8 ohm speaker but you want you're cabs to match in ohm rating so you have some balance when you combine cabs.

14. If its just doing a little buzzing from time to time, could the mounting screws on the speaker just be a little loose?

15. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    As luknfur so aptly replied, be sure to get the dimensions of the frame of any speaker your interested in and measure the current rout to be sure it will fit, I didn't. :bawl: I also tried to mount an old Altec Lansing cast frame an it barely fit but probably should have had a bit of routing done to fit properly. It did sound real good though. Also, I just got done figuring out the true inside dimensions of this cab, not an easy thing with the tiltback front mount board and the angle up to the port. :ninja: My best guess is that the cab has 3.2 cubic feet area inside and 33 sq" of port area. You might check with Dave at Avatar and see if he has a speaker that will work better for you given these dimensions? I must say I have always like this cabs design as it is an advantage to have the speaker tilted upwards towards your ears and makes for better stage monitoring. This design looks suspiciously like and older Sunn bass cabinet. :bag:

16. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it's the speaker. I have another amp (combo) that I plugged it into and it didn't buzz. Also, it has a power amp in, so I plugged my head into that and it didn't buzz, either. There's no power amp out for that amp, so I couldn't actually test the speaker with a different amp, but I'm pretty sure it's the speaker now.

17. Jimbo04

Jimbo04

Mar 10, 2004
    I just have a few questions with the mounting info that maybe you guys can help me with. First of all, what is baffle hole diameter? And what is mounting holes B.C.D.? And thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Baffle hole is speaker hole, you want it to be the same size as your cab. BCD I'm guessing is bolt center diameter, you want it to be the same as your speaker. Those two pieces of information usually tell you if the speaker will drop in without alteration.

You might get used to using the search function. 70% of the questions asked on these forums have already been answered. Beyond that, you will get a lot more useful information and learn a lot more than doing a post.