Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about spider bites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    What causes bites of some spiders (for instance the brown recluse) to literally open up the skin like that. Like I have been bitten by other insects and snakes and nothing like that ever happened.

Is the venom just that powerful or is there something else that happens?

2. Venom.

Goodies like hyaluronidase break down fascial planes, etc. Basicallly tissue necrosis and the affected area resembles Freddie Kruger ....on a bad day.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The venom contains enzymes/proteins that destroy tissue cells.

http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic547.htm

4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  5. As if the venom isn't enough, it CAN get infected also. As a kid the cool guys in our Boy Scout troop would collect rattlesnakes. As always happens, the guy who was the best and fastest was the one who got bitten when he let his guard down. He was bitten on the little finger and lost most of the tissue on his hand. Every day he would come to school and take the bandage off to show us how the necrosis was advancing. It was definitely not something the others of us wanted to experience.

6. I think the risk of infection is great. However, lots of blood cells are recruited to a wound within minutes and secrete bactericidal substances, like antimicrobial proteins and peptides, that are antibiotics produced by the body. Also, the initial wound should be sterile because of the highly toxic spider venom.

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    so do you mean that in a way, the same venom that is killing your tissue also prevents other infections?

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    And it gets you high...

9. Yes, most bacteria and other microorganisms would be destroyed by the venom.

10. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I got bit by a spider when I was in Hungary a few weeks ago and my leg was paralysed for a day. Was fine after that though!