Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Squier vs. MIM Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat jonny, Nov 18, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I was Trying my Friend's Squier affinity P-bass the other day and surprisingly, I really liked the sound of it a lot. However, the action on it was VERY high, which made it pretty hard to play. I was planning on getting a MIM Fender jazz bass as a backup and I was wondering if the setup on the Squier I played is an indication of the action of the MIM series. I haven't had the opportunity to play one, so I don't know what the setup is like. Should I expect to have to tweak it a little after I get it? I also read on some reviews that the hardware is cheap and that some people put a replacement Badass bridge on. How much do those cost and do you think it is worth it? Thanks a lot!

2. B3Nut

B3Nut

Oct 28, 2000
    Central Michigan
    Your friend's Squier is in dire need of setup work. A bit of adjusting to the truss rod and the bridge saddles will work wonders.

The MIM's do seem to have a bit better action, due to the smoother finish on the back of the neck and the necks are usually pretty straight or can be easily made so with the truss rod. Both my MIM Precision and Jazz are set up to my taste, and they feel great.

The MIM will probably sound a bit better due to its poplar body. The Squiers now use solid agathis bodies; previous Squier basses used plywood bodies.

One thing with the MIM's - the sunburst finish costs more and some say don't sound as good due to the thin pieces of maple laminated to the top and bottom (poplar has greenish streaks and as such is unsuitable for transparent finishes.) My MIM Jazz is a sunburst, it sounds good but I haven't compared it to the solid color MIM J's. My MIM Precision is a solid midnight blue color. It does seem to have more sustain than my J. Could be due to the slightly fatter neck. At any rate, the MIM P generally has good tone and sustain and is IMHO the best $300 bass out there - good, simple, and solid. The Jazz is also a killer $300 bass but budget for better pickups if you buy a MIM Jazz.

HTH

TP

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well the setup is going to vary from bass to bass and is, of course, adjustable. They are both a good value right out of the box but of course a lot of people like to change the bridge (Gotoh, BadAss, etc.) and the pickups but it is not absolutely necessary, just a matter of personal preference. Try and get to a music store and play them and others and see what you think. And of course, like anything else, $200-300 is not going to buy you what $2000-3000 will.

4. UCWhatUdid

UCWhatUdid

Oct 2, 2000
    I picked up a MIM Jazz a while back simply because it seemed to be a steal of a deal. It was. Best bang for the buck I've come across in years. I'm one of those that changed out the bridge - put a BA II on it. Main reason was that the stock saddles can "walk" side to side depending on how hard you dig into the strings. Still using the stock pups, which actually sound pretty good. I may change em some day, primarily because they are a little noiser than I like, but still, they are surprisingly "vintage" in sound, which is what I was looking for.

For the money, IMHO, you just cannot go wrong going with the MIM instruments.

5. I love my Mexi Jazz + Dimarzio DP123's humbucking J's + Badass2. Then I found a Korean Squier Jazz that feels even better! I will eventually put the DP123's on that bass, and a Gotoh 201. They both feel excellent, and in either case I'm playing totally happy with a bass that I don't have to worry about because the Mex has about $400 in it, and the Jazz will end up having about $300 in it. Freaking Amazing! I can't speak highly enough about these 2 instruments with these mods.

Chris

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The MIM basses are IMHO worth the extra $.I had a MIM J and liked it but sold it when i stole a MIA Std P bass off ebay.If you can afford a bit more try the MIM Active Jazz.It has the same exact elecs(Low noise pups and preamp)as the old MIA J DLX.This bass sounds mean!I prefer its sound to the new ADlx "Noiseless pups"or any of the other J's ive tried except the RB-5.The MIM P's are nice too.Just depends on what you like tonaly.With any of the MIM basses i would suggest changing the bridge.I put the Gotoh 201 on mine but if i had to do it over again id go with the BA-II.Nothing against the Gotoh but the other is a bit meatier.As such youd get increased sustain and a fuller sound same as the gotoh only more so.The tuning gears are hit or miss on the MIM's.Some hold well while others slip.Mine worked fine.I think the MIA Std HR-P is probably out of your price range but just in case,MF is clearing them out for 599 WHSC.I think shipping is included as well.Thats a deal and a half if you can swing it.Good luck!

7. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Cool, thanks a lot guys. I think I'll still get the MIM jazz , sounds like there are just a few minor downsides like the bridge and mediocre pickups, so I guess I will just plan on upgrading them later. Thanks Bernie for the info on the MF closeout, but I don't think I can swing that kind of cash for a backup bass right now. Thanks again to everyone!