Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about Stingray Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 31, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Last week, at a show, the bassist for Old American Dream had a gorgeous natural finished Stingray with rosewood neck. I'm such a gear not, so I spent half the time admiring his bass. I took a look at the bridge and noticed what look to be pick up poles coming out in front of the saddles. I'd never noticed this before. I figured maybe the guy has a piezo, but there were only 4 knobs. I went to Guitar Center today, and observed the bridges on none of them had the poles. And I just saw another picture of a Stingray with these polls. What are they, and why on some and not others?

~Patrick:bawl:

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Coulda' been a pre-EB Stingray. They had adjustable
    mutes in front of the saddles. What look like extra
    polepieces were maybe the thumbscrews that adjusted
    the mutes up and down ?

[​IMG]

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No, I don't think it was that. His bass was an Ernie Ball, fairly new looking one. This is what I'm talking about. And of course this one looks like a pre Ernie Ball. Are those string mutes on there?[​IMG]

~Patrick

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    that is where the mutes would be. Pre and post Ernie's had the mutes for awhile....

5. -that's an Ernie Ball MM- note the trussrod adjuster wheel, and the strings are anchored through the back of the bridge plate.
    (pre-EB's had strings-thru body and trussrod adjust at the headstock)
    also there are three screws holding the bridge on in addition to the two allen bolts (pre-EB's had just the allen bolts).

this is a later model EB as the strings pass over the saddles slightly to one side- the whole bridge was shifted sideways- presumably to allow the strings a clearer path to the tailpiece past the saddle adjuster screws and springs.

on current MM's they've cut down the size of the bridgeplate, so there's no way of adding the mutes without changing it.

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Probaably a transitional bridge. My 96 Ray has bobin like screws where the mute screws would have been, but my bass never had the mutes. They used the left over bridges till they were gone.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Like this
    [​IMG]