Question about Stingray setup, and sad story...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Jul 14, 2004.

1. My stingray pickup is much higher on the G-string side that the E-string side. Is that normal? There is only 3, maybe 4mm tops between the pole peices and the G string, whereas the E has about 5/6mm clearance... Is it supposed to be setup that way? I just got back from gigging on and Island in QLD, and am concerned that the setup may have changed.

Any help appreciated!! :D

the sad story:
    The stingray now has 3 noticeable dings in it thanks to a guitarist who decided to throw his PRS around his shoulder and catch it again....only he didn't check to see if anyone was behind him... The stingray was only 6 weeks old! The dings go right down to the wood. I need to find a luthier who will do a good job repairing a dark cherry burst finish now....
  2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    4mm is the EB recommended distance, but it's fairly normal to adjust this to take into account differences in output from each string, particularly on 3 band stingrays.
  3. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I bet that PRS headstock would be quite uncomfortable when inserted into his, uh, well you get the picture.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Sad? I had my Brand-new Stingray for 2 DAYS when I was putting it in its case after a show, then putting all my cables away, my cabinet in the truck, etc...then I grab my case handle, lift, and my bass goes clanging out onto the parking lot...I had forgotten to latch the friggin case :bawl: . Dings all over it now.

I still love it, and I don't really think about babying it anymore.
  6. About the dings: Your guitarist is an idiot. If you happen to have any sharp headed basses, feel free to swing away. ;) But, once you get that first ding, or whatever, you don't feel so bad about your bass getting hit, or getting road wear. It's like a car, a few thousand miles and a scratch or two later, and its road tested.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Dings are the sign of a working bassist. Don't ask for them, but don't sob over them either. I play a stingray partly because I like the aggressive sound, but also because I became tired of boutique showroom basses getting dinged at gigs, most in unnecessary, stupid ways. With a mid-range value instrument like a 'Ray, you don't have to cry every time something stupid like that happens.

. . . and warn your guitarist that if he does something idiotic like that again, you'll kick him square in the nuts . . .
  8. Yeah, who the hell does he think he is, Yngwie Malmsteen or C.C. DeVille? Go back to the '80's, you gaytar slingin' loser!

/mostly joking...mostly