Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about storing electronics in basement

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Inseam, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a good digital piano that I'm not using these days and am going to store in my unfinished basement. We've got a de-humidifier in the basement to keep the humidity from getting too bad, but it's still a basement.

Question - what should I do to protect the piano from moisture and bugs? Just throw a sheet over it? Wrap the whole thing in saran wrap? Other ideas? I want this thing to work in a couple years when I finally get a music room in the house.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    We don't usually have basements in all the parts of Texas I've ever lived in because it's too wet but maybe you could get some sort of equivalent of some giant silica gel bags and put them on and around it. I don't know what I'm talking about. It sounded good in my head.

brad cook

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The solution for the world's problems: garbage bags and duct tape. :)

That's what I'd do. The garbage bags are pretty good insulation, they'll keep the critters out. If you get a good seal with the duct tape, it'll be almost airtight. I've done this with several nstruments, it works fine. "Apply duct tape liberally". :)

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yep, trash bags, duct tape, and a dehumidifier should cover it. I'd also add something that measures humidity if you are really concerned.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Although I'd recommend covering it with the trash bags, not the dehumidifier. ;)

brad cook

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    You are correct.;)

7. Inseam

Inseam

Jun 17, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Of course. The John Ashcroft solution of duct tape and plastic. Good idea.

8. I'd be funny about plastic wrap and electronics. Won't condensation form on the inside, and then be trapped in with all the delicate and moisture-sensitive electronic hizzy frizzles?

9. not if there is minimal moisture to begin with. further, most parts are not extremely sensitive to moisture when it's not on.

robb.