Question about string tension (Lo-Riders, Chromes, Super Brights content)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Hello.

I love Chromes, but I miss the way that rounds sound on certain songs. I recently purchased another CIJ Jaguar to set up with rounds in order to compliment the one I have set up with Chromes. The rounds I have chosen are nickel DR Lo-Riders (they are not here yet) (I did quite a bit of research, which is weird because, back in the day, I would just walk into a store and buy some. TalkBass has ruined my life). The rounds I have always used are Dunlop Super Brights, but the Jag is already on the bright side (and I am looking forward to the lower action allowed by the hex cores).

I understand that the DRs (105-45) are going to be higher tension, much higher than the Dunlops, but what about the Chromes (95-40)? Are the DRs going to be similar to the Chromes in tension? Or greater? Less?

I suppose I could wait a few days and see for myself, but starting a thread is so much fun.

In short:
    Lo-Riders 105-45
    Chromes 95-40
    Asking about the difference in tension.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. I guess it depends on what gauges you get of each, but they should be somewhat similar, although I think the DR's will be a bit more flexible.

I haven't used Chromes in at least 4 years, but I remember them being incredibly stiff. I've used the Stainless Steel DR Lo Riders for the last year or two and while they can be fairly taut (particularly in the higher gauges) I don't get the same feeling playing them that I remember having while playing Chromes.

But to be honest, I don't know of many other roundwounds that have greater tension so I think you can only increase the gauge if they're too loose.

Also, Lo Riders have a nice growly bump in the upper mids, which should be a very good contrast to your flats.

Bodeanly likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I use both nickel lowriders and chromes on different basses.

Tension is 100% a function of gauge.

You can't say anything about tension without knowing gauge.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Thanks. OP changed.

Lo-Riders 105-45
    Chromes 95-40

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Cool. The same gauges I use.
    I find them to feel very similar.

That said, the Chromes are on a fretless acoustic and an electric upright, so I don't play them the same way I do the Lo-riders on my fretted electrics. In terms of bending, etc.

Bodeanly and Matthew_84 like this.
  6. Yeah, I think they should be pretty similar as well.

Bodeanly likes this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    This is what I'm hoping.

Thanks guys!

Matthew_84 likes this.
  8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma