Question about stringing...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HostileApostle, Mar 16, 2002.

1. I just got my new bass today. With it I got a chromatic tuner also.

Today I was tuning my bass and the top string just wouldn't tune to "E". Eventually, I popped a string.

Don't laugh, heh, I'm new at this.

Anyway, is it tought to restring the thick "E" string. I have an E string on my other Bass I could use if I knew how to take it off and replace it on my new bass.

Can someone help on how to string? What do I need, how do I do it? Any sites with pictures?
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You could use the E from the other bass if it's long enough
    to get a couple wraps around the tuning post. Of course,
    if it's drastically different from the new A,D, and G - like stainless
    round vs nickel flat - there'd be the difference in tone.

There was a good article (with pics) from BP mag - can't find
    it right now :(. This one might help :) --
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Dern...broke your E? Lose any limbs?:p:D
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This may be the link with pictures that notduane is talking about -

Notice that there are two sets of instructions - one for headstocks where all the tuners are on one side, and one for those with tuners on both sides of the headstock.
  5. The trick many newbie bassists (or any string instrument players for that fact) is they don't "tensilize" the strings properly.

Once you have the string on your bass, before tuning up, give each string a gentle pull until you can feel a wee (and I mean a wee) bit of give, like they are stretching.

Continue to tune up your bass and repeat with less of a pull this time and retune. After two or three times, you'll come to a point where the tensilizing doesn't affect the tuning more than a few cents.

You are ready to rock!

P.S.: Dean Markley Blue Steels do NOT need this procedure, as their construction causes them to contract equally to their stretch, therefore they go in tune fast and stay in tune!
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Whoo-hoo! Thanx RB! :D.

My `puter blowed-up recently
    and I lost all my links :rolleyes:.