Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question About Stu Hamms Solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Digo, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    hey, i was watching the stu hamm bass solo on putfile and im wondering, for a solo like that (regardless to whther or not hamm plays it with one) is there any pedals that i cud have on to give a better sound, i considered chorus but i dunno

2. peladox

peladox

Aug 3, 2004
    if you watched the same solo that I have, you will see a boss bass chorus, I'm pretty sure that when he plays the tapping parts the chorus its on!,
    well if you find out anything else please tell us! :)

3. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    would that be the one on putfile???

4. peladox

peladox

Aug 3, 2004
    sorry but english its my second lenguage can you explain a little more =S

5. if its the one from the joe satriani live in sanfransisco dvd all he has on is a chorus and a bit of compression...he turns the chorus off when he starts tapping
    [​IMG]

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My general feeling is that refinement of technique will go much farther to make your solos sound better than the masking effect provided by a stomp box...

Nothing pointed at you personally...and I do understand your question... In the end, it's the magician, not the wand.

7. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    ok then, only personally i think a song like voodoo child wouldent sound good without its "wand"

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    No arguements...but Voodoo Chile with better technique (and the wand) will sound better that Voodoo Chile with the same wand...

9. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    in my eyes voodoo chile is best with Wah and/or reverb

10. to my ears, its better to be played by jimi, or SRV......and john mayer

11. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    oooh didnt know john mayer did it, apparently my favourite song ever is OLD LOVE nad john mayer did a cover and didnt like it

12. Digo

Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    another question, if you lok at the one on putfile there is a bit he is playing at the high frets and it looks like he pinches the string on the 21st fret of the G string and it goes way more high pitched, how is this done (dont say "pinch the string" )

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Billy Sheehan does the pinch harmonic thing a lot...

Here's a post in another thread (I searched in Technique for pinch harmonic and found this one).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2222782&postcount=8

14. basically fret 21st fret, then halfway between that fret (any fret on the fb that your are playing) and the bridge, place your thumb on the string, and pluck normally...pinch harmonics, artificial harmonics...thats the way i do it