1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question about SWR cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Arod1213, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm thinking of buying these SWR cabs off of my uncle. They are a 1x15 and 2x10 cabs (Pre-Fender). I was playing through a Markbass Little Mark III and a Marbass NYC 1x12 cab. I'm keeping the head but am curios if the SWR cabs are too much for me to play gigs with my band. It's a lot to carry and will take up a lot of space on the stage but the sound is way better than my 1x12.

I was at Bass Exchange in LA yesterday and played through some Form Factor Audio cabinets. They are new to the market. They sounded amazing and are very light and relatively compact.

I'd just like some thoughts on playing gigs with the SWR setup coming from my tiny rig. I'd also like to know what people think of the Form Factor Audio stuff.

Here's a video of my playing through the SWR cabs at my uncles:

http://youtu.be/DtwhMwMmy5k

Thanks,

Aidan

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363554129.860024.

2. Not too much at all................

I would say "just about right" for gigging.

3. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks
    I like the cabinets, but it seems like so much for the small places my band plays especially coming from my 1x12 cabinet

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Great cabs, will each sound great standalone for your small gigs.

5. I think the 1-15 is one of the best of its kind. I have powered mine with a '70's SVT head and with a GK 800rb. Very pleased, though I play a different style, blues/rock. I have not used the 2-10 though I think it would be great also, alone or with the 15. If I could get them both I would do it. You will be set for bigger stages.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Then just one of 'em, depending on the situation... I discovered the advantages of having more of a bass rig than is needed years ago - you never have to push them hard, so they tend to sound better than something being pushed to it's limits, and your rig's reliability and longevity go way up when it's somewhat "over-built" for it's task...

I think those are very good cabs - if you can get a deal on them, you should probably grab it...

- georgestrings

7. jdbutler238

jdbutler238 Commercial User

May 10, 2012
    Bellflower California
    What kind of questions did you have regarding Form Factor?

8. chrisrod9

chrisrod9

Jan 29, 2013
    I have a few questions/comments about Form Factor Audio.

1) Can you please elaborate on the status/history of the company? Your website provides no real information to give me any comfort to make a significant purchase from a brand new company.

I emailed the company through the website contact form and have not heard back in 3 weeks. This lack of attentiveness gives me pause in buying from Form Factor Audio.

2) What is the relationship between Form Factor Audio and the owner of Bass Exchange in Sherman Oaks? I've never been sold so hard on a product in my life. Clearly, there is a relationship beyond just being the first dealer. This relationship should be disclosed. Best practices of any business would dictate said disclosure so a consumer can make a more informed decision.

The above being said, the cabinets sound great. My concern is whether or not the company will be around long enough in the event we wanted to buy complimentary products in the future or should we need service.

3) Are there any other dealers that will be carrying the cabinets soon?

Thanks,

Chris

9. jdbutler238

May 10, 2012
    Bellflower California
    Chris,

I will try to answer your questions in the order you asked them...

1) I do apologize for our lack of response, being a new company (we had our launch at NAMM 2013) we have some areas that need work (website) and we are currently working on strengthening these areas.

2) First of all… 8 years ago I went into the Amp Shop and bought an MTD 535 and I have never been sold so hard on a bass! It is just the way Amp Shop is, when they stand behind a product they really push it and believe in it. We have other dealers in Chicago, New York, San Diego and we will continue to establish dealers around the Country. We will provide service for our product with all parts and labor and thereby guaranteeing our bass cabinets.

We help our customers out any way we can, we stand behind our product and have a plan to service our cabs for their lifetime. We do this, because we want our products to have a high resale value. We can offer this kind of commitment because our cabs are designed and assembled in the USA (Garden Groove California).

Our cabinets are designed with advanced joints, made from calibrated Baltic birch and Italian Plywood (light weight), cut on state of the art CNC routers. The result is a cabinet so rigid and strong, it allows for a new level of performance from the woofers.

The speakers are custom made to our specification by different world known Loudspeaker companies from the US and Europe.

The crossover is designed and built in our Orange County factory by our engineers.

The combination of these factors, years of engineering development and a proven assembly process brings you the ultimate bass experience in sound reproduction, tone and punch. As you have already heard the cabs I am sure you can appreciate all the design features.

3) We are currently working on dealers in the US and around the world. If you need a dealer in a specific area or country let me know I will provide you with the needed information.

You can also find more up to date/accurate information on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/FormFactorAudio

I hope these answers help some... I am always available. PM me if you need to.

Thanks,

Dane
    National Sales Manager | Artist Relations
    www.FORMFACTORAUDIO.com

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What's an advanced joint?
    Okay, you Cali folk keep it about the cabinet. ;)

11. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Nice cabs! I'd pick them up if the price is right. That is IF you really need them.

What does the Markbass NOT do that you think you are missing? I've never tried one so I don't really know what they sound like.

12. jdbutler238

May 10, 2012
    Bellflower California
    It is Advanced beyond what not used to be advanced ;-)

The cab does play a vital role, but it is really about the whole acoustical system.

13. jdbutler238

May 10, 2012
    Bellflower California
    The only way to know the difference in sound and tone would be to A/B them... Where in Arizona are you located?

14. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    How about AZ? There is a great store out here you should get your product to called "The Bass Place"

Its a 40 min drive for me but I would love to hear those in person. I would definitely check those out and pick them up if they are as good as everyone claims. Thanks!

Or if you want to get them even close to me that would be great too! I am in chandler which is just south east of phx

15. jdbutler238

May 10, 2012
    Bellflower California
    I will let you know when Lee and Dennis have a cab or two or three at The Bass Place. Thanks for the heads up.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Well here we go with another cabinet maker. I'm thankful that you didn't get panned out of hand. Sadly that HAS happened before. May I humbly wish you luck for the future. :)

17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I have both a 1X15 and 2X10 SWR cab. They work well together if you need that much, but I've found either is more than enough for most gigs. They're small and light and easy enough to move around.