Question about SWR Working Pro Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bowedtoothdoc54, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    I recently purchased a complete SWR WorkingPro rig. The guy that I bought it from was the original owner. The rig consists of a WorkingPro 700 head, a 4 X 10 cabinet, and a 1 x 15 cabinet. When reading the manuals for the amp it warns that the overall impedance should not be below 4 ohms. The manual for the WorkingPro cabinets shows all of the cabinets having a rating of 8 ohms which makes sense for driving two cabinets off of that head. The issue is that my 4 X 10 cabinet has a small sticker on the back plate indicating that it's 4 ohms. So my question is is the cabinet 8 or 4 ohms? I the seller bought the entire rig new there is no way that he would buy a 4 ohm cabinet and an 8 ohm with that head? Any input is appreciated?

2. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks for the reply...maybe I should just remove the sticker?

3. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Just to confirm......

You need to check the cab input with a multimeter. Plug in a speaker cord and test the open end, IIRC, set to dc ohms and you should get 5 to 6 for an 8ohm cab.

Please anyone else, correct me if Im way wrong!

Andyman001 and HolmeBass like this.
  4. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Looking at the SWR site did make a 4 ohm version of the WorgingPro 410. I have never attempted an ohms mismatch with a bass rig but run three 8 ohm monitors all the time with a powered mixer (output 4 ohms minimum). I have never had an issue. I would contact seller and ask how often he used this setup. Did he use it every weekend for hours at a time? I'm sure others with more tech experience will chime in.

5. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    Thanks Guys,
    I don't have a way to contact the seller as I purchased this off of Craigslist. The amp and cabinets are like new. The head is mounted in a rack with a korg tuner and the cabinets came with SWR Covers. I will try the multimeter test and report back.

6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Hit us with a photo if you can.

7. Looks like 4 ohms from here... maybe a series speaker cable could be your quick fix if it leaves you enough juice.
    Reduced power outage, and the 4x10 (assuming it's 4 ohms) will get 2/3 of the power, but it might sound plenty good enough.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Yep. 4 ohms.

9. Bowedtoothdoc54

Bowedtoothdoc54

Nov 3, 2016
    So, Here's my results: The 4 x 10 cab tested 003 and the 1 X 15 tested 004
    The multimeter was set on the ->|- setting.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Get thee a DVM and check the impedance.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See the preceding post.

12. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    That is odd, I never heard of a 4 ohm Working Pro 410. As far as I know, the Goliath & Go Light were the only SWR 410 cabs that came in 4 ohm.

10cc likes this.
  13. I've seen the 4ohm version on rare occasion. FWIW, I ran a WM210 for several years, and it had surprising volume and depth of tone (not to mention weight LOL). 410 version and a decent head should be enough oomph for any normal human.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  14. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    For several years I've had SWR Workingman's series cabs. I switched from the 8 ohm 4x10 cab into a pair of 2x10's of the same line when I got a smaller car. Together these 8 ohm cabs give me a 4 ohm load and they've been reliable soldiers that have given me plenty of sound for small/medium shows with no PA support.

Not saying that these cabs are world beaters, but just echoing our pal bryan gibson's thought that you may get all you need in a lot of settings with only that 4x10. I sure did. Bummer that your head isn't matched up well for running the pair of cabs together, but maybe you could find an inexpensive power amp to run the other cab on the occasions where you'd want to use both for a bigger show. The extra power source also makes your rig a little more bullet proof.

15. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Most DVM's can't measure impedance: they measure DC resistance.

16. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    hmmmm... I've never had a problem. But I usually have really good meters around (that's kinda my job - when I actually *have* a job!)

17. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Some swr heads were 2.6 or even 2 ohm stable. Perhaps the wp700 is as well? I tuned out after fender bought them, but their bigger block heads like the bass750 and the workingman 800 TOP head were 2.6 stable, which is what a 4+8 is. Perhaps the wp700 was the same in that respect? I know my wm10 which was 4 ohm stable went into protect mode when I tried to use a 4 ohm extension (2.6 total), and would shut down. Chances are that rig is 2.6 stable.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  18. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021