1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about the Ampeg SVT 3-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brentt68, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    I have a couple of questions about the Ampeg SVT 3-Pro
    Looking to pair up with an Ampeg 410 (would love to get the Ampeg Pro Neo)
    Currently I am using an Ampeg B 410HE love it but may be the wrong paring.

Also need to replace a few knobs (not sure where) and was wondering how I should go about asking for maintenance/service on the amp head. I'm not sure what to have the tech look at or work on as a basic service to keep it working well without getting fleeced. Tubes I may need and good price. Thanks in advance!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tubes you can easily replace yourself, but unless there's something wrong with the sound of your amp, there's no need to replace them. www.fliptops.net should carry the missing knobs. If not, you could call Ampeg and see if they can sell you some (they're in Woodinville, BTW). As for someone to work on it for you, Ampeg has a lookup on their website where you can find an authorized repair place. In Spokane, that shouldn't be hard to find. Amd your B410he should work fine with the 3 Pro.

3. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Thank you! Is their a standard maintenance I can or should do or have done?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not really. Other than occasional tube replacement, there's not much else you can do with it. But the tubes should only be replaced on a case-by-case basis, and if the amp is working, I would leave them in as long as you possibly can. Preamp tubes can last years and years sometimes.

agedhorse likes this.
  5. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    The only problem I have ever had with a 3 Pro is the bias adjustment drifting. You can tell the bias is off when the amp is making a fuzzy distortion sound. If you have this issue, a tech is required. Also, I recommend a four ohm cab with that amp if you have the option-it sounds a lot better at full power imo.

6. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    I was thinking that as well. Is there a 410 4ohm Neo cab?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope. But on the bright side, I used to have a 3 Pro and ran it with an 8 ohm cab and I thought it was great. It's still 275w, which is nothing to sneeze at.

8. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    The cab I have is only 200watts. Is that a potential problem? It's the Ampeg B410 HE

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you use your ears and the gray goop between them, it will be fine. Here's a helpful hint: if it sounds like it might explode, it will.

BassPilot and Bim1959 like this.
  10. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    Ha ha! Not worried about that!

JimmyM likes this.
  11. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    FWIW, I used to own a 3PRO and loved it for many years. I'd consider picking one up again if the price was right.
    I'd have your tech look at the poweramp bias, test your tubes to see if any need replacing (they might be fine!), and do a general once-over for broken solder joints, bad pots, bad jacks, etc.

Brentt68 likes this.
  12. pjspecial

pjspecial

Jan 6, 2010
    Toronto
    Sounds amazing with my 610 hlf 600watts cab 4ohms.

D Rock 247 likes this.
  13. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    I picked it up for $325. I checked it out inside looked good but dusty. They gave me a 6 month written warranty.

BrentSimons, quickfix and NKBassman like this.
  14. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    I'm looking to get a 2x10 hlf and a 410 hlf. For less weight and versatility. I think the svt 3 pro should sound great.

15. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    IIRC the 410HLF is a 4 ohm cab, so you would not be able to use those two cabinets together at the same time.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    He's referring to the Pro Neo 410hlf, which IS 8 ohms.

NKBassman likes this.
  17. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Ah, well then... game on!

Brentt68 and JimmyM like this.
  18. Brentt68

Brentt68

Jan 9, 2009
    Washington
    So 8 ohm any two cab combo is fine. 4ohm only one cab. Is that the layman version or am I not getting it.

NKBassman likes this.
  19. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    I used the SVT 3 Pro for years and loved the tone. I swapped the tubes with EHX 12AX7's and got a bit more grit in doing so. My only complaint with that head was that it's lacking power. I was playing in a hard rock band with 2 guitarists but mainly large venues with good house PA's so it wasn't a major issue.

Congrats on the score!

Brentt68 and NKBassman like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You got it.

BrentSimons, Brentt68 and NKBassman like this.