1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about the Bass Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aquarianfuture, Dec 22, 2006.

1. So, a lot like everyone else, I would like to get one of these. It's a classic effect and everyone wants one and they are very rare. I look around and see some absurd prices overall, but some of which I would be willing to spend. except the $1000 ending bid on the whammy that recently sold on Ebay a few days ago that was once owned by Mark White.
    My Question is basically this. If you were to purchase a similarily decent tracking whammy, such as the whammy II, what would be the best way to transmit similar frequencies through your effect chain and have it come out sounding Decent? Could you possibly put an EQ or boost pedal after the Whammy and potentially be able to have something close sonically? What am i missing as far as the essential technical aspects of the Bass Whammy that can't be compensated in some way?
    I am interested in any responses about this. Thanks for reading!
    (~)Bill

maybe pointless, but if anyone has a Bass WHammy or a Whammy II pm me!

2. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, but I'll do my best to answer your question:

The sound that comes out isn't any different, and EQ or whatever isn't needed. The only difference between the Bass Whammy and the others, is the pitch shifts you can do. It has an option to harmonize a 5th in heel position, then up to one octave in toe position. It also doesn't have a 2 octave up sweep.

The sounds you get won't differ, you could run your bass into a bass whammy or a whammy 2 and get the same sounds, just you have different harmonising and pitch shifting options!

I hope that answers your question,
    James.

3. Thanks for replying. You did answer my question and i appreciate that. I guess my only other question is which version of the later Whammys could be the most useful for bass and is there anything else i should take into consideration from other people's opinions and points of view?
    thanks!
    (~)Bill

4. i actually think the other whammys are much more useful, i love that 2 oct up setting

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I, like Ant above, do actually prefer the guitar whammys as they allow for the 2 octave sweeps. Although the 5th->1 octave up setting is useful, the maximum sweep up and down of the bass whammy is only 1 octave, so the guitar ones would be what I'm looking at.

I would personally go for the Whammy II (looks identical to the bass whammy but is black instead of blue) because it has a button for you to scroll through the presets (instead of a knob like whammies 1&4), has the same sound as the WH1 (same circuit and chips) and is cheaper than the WH1. Yeah it's more expensive than the Whammy 4, but IMO it's much better.

Ant has 2 WH1's so he can tell you how good the WH2 would sound.

6. I have a Digitech BP-8 that I only use for the whammy function. The 5th up --> Oct up on that thing sounds great. It tracks better than I would have thought. HOWEVER, the NEW Multi-effects from Digitech with Whammy function track like crap.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a Whammy 4, sounds great on bass. Tracks really well too, check it out. It's probably your cheapest option right now anyway :)

-Dash

8. Thanks for all the recomendations. i will do some searching. One other thing. Can anyone explain to me exactly why companies that originally made a great product fail to make pedals or other objects as well as they were when they make reissues? i was thinking originally that maybe its a matter of economics, and older products become rare and worth more money...but that doesn't yield any benefits for the company really.
    I dont understand why a company with access to all the original parts and electronic design that created a great product would then in later years make pieces that aren't nearly as good as predecessors.. Could be a basic question but I'd like to know why this is the case. And are they aware that newer products aren't designed as well?
    Thanks everyone!
    (~)Bill

9. i just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded. i was unaware of the differences in the whammys made over the years. Basically what I've come up with is that we should all band together and design an updated whammy with superb tracking and realtime response, because Digitech surely doesnt seem interested in coming out with anything like the bass whammy again. very sad. any electronic pedal building savvy people on here? oh, and is reverse engineering illegal/possible?

10. WOW> I am suprised alot of people have not meantioned the XP100 whammy/wah. I personally have a bass whammy but the xp100 has all the settings from the bass whammy and the whammy 1 as well as a wah. It is a pretty cool pedal that you should be able to snag for $100 on the bay...

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've gone through every Whammy Digitech has ever made, and I find that the only one's that are worth a damn are the original and the re-issue. The Whammy II and Bass Whammy have an adjustable gain stage that never works well, and ends up destroying your tone and volume. Set them high enough to where you don't lose volume, and it distorts. Set it below the threshold of distortion and your volume is cut in half. I also find them, and the Xp100, too digital sounding as compared to the I and IV (yes, I know that they are all digital, but some digital circuits sound better than others).

12. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    That may be, but the Bass Whammy and evidently the XP100 have the up 5th up -> octave up harmony that is not on the original or IV which is very useful on bass. Plus they both have selectable presets that can be toggled on the fly without having to manually turn the knob.

And whether it makes a difference or not, the original and the Bass Whammy/Whammy 2 were made by IVL and licensed by Digitech which some claim to be superior to the new ones being made.