Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question about the Fender American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Sep 1, 2005.

1. RJSBASS

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    I'm considering an American Deluxe (whether precision or jazz) and i'm wondering if you can play slap bass on it (meaning if it would sound good when you do it). If not, im looking for a good all around bass for around 2,000$. I don't really like the look of G&L. I would appreciate any info

2. FreedomGundam

FreedomGundam

Aug 26, 2005
    This is my advice I don't know if you thought of this or not.. Please don't flame me for saying this.

Don't you have a local Guitar Center near you? Did youc all all around musical places see if they had Fender jazz bass American Deluxe. In my little expereince playing one or just playing one a bit at Guitar center I hear a little to no difference from Deluxe to Fender Jazz bass. I think there is like material difference but and that it was made in the US. Other than that I don't think there is any differene. I could be wrong. I am only a 5 year bass player.

p.s. I can't slap yet the right way but playing both basses there is only I think materal difference a bit. Never the less I think you can get good Fender jazz American for like 1,000.

3. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    On the other hand the American P deluxe is a whole different animal, + 1 to trying both out.

4. RJSBASS

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    There are no places near me that sell the Fender American Deluxe to the degree of what im looking for. They have cheap fender basses but not the top notch ones

5. FreedomGundam

FreedomGundam

Aug 26, 2005
    Then the questions remains.. do you really need one. If you usually have to think about something they usually then it can't be worth it or wrong. Thought there are smoe senarioes that make that statement false.

What do you perfer better?

Some times cheap stuff can outlast or even play better than better stuff. All depends how you take care of the equipment.

6. The p-bass deluxe is an awesome slap bass, and so is the jazz for that matter. But that statement is only partially true, because they're great at a lot of other things as well. They're also pretty competitively priced, which made it a hard decision for me between a Stingray and the P bass deluxe.

But, my pet peeve is asking questions about subjective topics, so I feel obliged to tell you this; If it sounds good to you, play slap bass on an Atlantic Salmon if you want!

Here's what I would suggest: Save your pennies, and when you have enough money, take a road trip for a couple of days and try every bass you can lay your hands on. You'll be surprised how the sales people bend over backwards when you tell them you're out to buy a bass today! Buy the bass you like and ignore convention and strangers opinions - including mine. :p

Oh, and there definitely is some major differences between a P bass deluxe and a jazz and they are both available in US made versions.

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Oh Marcus? Mr Miller where are youooooo?
    :D

8. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The Deluxe P is so awesome. It is an awesome slap bass. There are lots of differences between the American Deluxe's and the standard american basses. The build quality is a little better, the tones are slightly different, well at least the deluxe's are more versatile.

I own a deluxe p, and it totally owns. The looks are amazing, the neck plays like a dream and there is a wide variety of tones to choose from.

Go and have a play of the Deluxe P and J. They're both amazing instruments IMO.

9. Listen to Ronda Smith playing bass for PRINCE!!!! Unbelievable.
    She plays a Fender American Deluxe Jazz. :hyper:

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I really like both of the Fender Deluxe basses, especially the P. Both have good slap sounds. I'll say though, if you want a Fender style bass primarily for slapping, look into a Sadowsky Metro. If you find a used one, it'll be well within your price range, and I've never heard a better slap tone.

11. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    FWIW, I have both the MIA Jazz passive and active. The active is definitely better for slapping, and It has a lot to do with the active eletronics. However, I did not get a chance to try a P Deluxe. I'd sure like to as they have a killer pick-up configuration.

12. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I've got a jazz deluxe 5 and it's fine for slap. The string spacing at the bridge is a little tight though. I don't know the measurement but it's less than the 'standard' 19mm. The B string tone is ok but it's not the instrument's strongest point. The eq seems really well voiced to me and I'm a sucker for the bridge pickup fingerstyle tone.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If your in that price range 2000 US, I'd strongly consider a Sadowsky Metro (used 5/new 4 ) a Lakeland Darryl Jones or a Fender Marcus Miller with a new Pre amp. That said, I'm assuming you live in the US. Please, if your going to ask for equipment purchase info, put you location in your profile. Prices , availability and even suggestions on where to shop are very dependent on location. And we have people on the forum from Europe and Asia.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I couldn't disagree more. I'm not going to get into my rant about about the P-deluxe (you can do a search on it and see I've said plenty), but I owned and used one lots for about a year. Everything I hoped that bass would be I, and waaay more - found in a Bongo. A/B the 2 in any guitar center and they'll do the talking.

15. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Now the Bongo is GREAT for slapping. If you can get used to a bass that looks like a toilet seat, go for it. I had one for one day and had to return it, because I saw it sitting on my couch after waking up the next morning and wondered why my sister had to take a trip to Ace Hardware.

No offense to those who own Bongos of course. They are absolutely amazing to play, and I love those crescent moon inlays on the neck.

16. fearlessdane

fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    I agree, I also own an American Deluxe P Bass, and that extra hot rod humbucker along with the quarter pound pickups make it an extemely versatile bass. You can get the warm P Bass sound and in a turn of the knob, switch to a killer funk slap tone.

17. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i had the fender mia delux P bass- beautiful bass and very very tonally diverse sounds possible. I really liked it. Excellent qulatily compared to much of whta you see at GC/SA etc... It is not , however, a semi custom bass imo.

I WILL buy one again, especially if used.

that being said, for less than half the list price you could get a Ken Smith proto J . This bass is soooooo smooth. No, its not a P bass, but its A LOT of bass for not a lot of $.

just a thought, cause the KSD is on my mind. I jsut got one.

18. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ...same price point, both with a 3 band EQ, superbly built, I want both, but I can only have one, and once the SC/H 'rays come out then the 'ray will be just as versatile as the P...

Oh, the choices.

:crying: