Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question about the fender jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomstoats, Jul 30, 2005.

1. on the old fender jazz's if u look on the back of the head stock theres a piece of metal bellow the tunners that kinda looks like the parts for attaching your strap to on the body. what is this and what was it used for? sorry i cant find no pictures at the moment of the part that i mean. :help:

2. it is used for attaching straps :smug:

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Some folks used to prefer attaching the one end of the strap out at the end of the neck like just how you used to have to tie one end of a strap around the end of the neck past the nut on some acoustic guitars. Clearly, this wasn't as popular as they thought, 'cause it didn't last long.

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    heh i have never seen anyone do that...that would be really funny

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Certainly no neck dive with that set up :cool:

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, in that case, Alembic shoulda' been doin' this for years on those micro-short top horn designs... :bag: :D

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    this same thing is on my brands new Squire P-bass

8. I heard once that it was for the people that liked to wear their basses higher up. Dunno if that is true but it sounded good.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just a visual. I also believe it dates back to acoustic guitar headstock hanging styles.