1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about the Hughes & Kettner BATT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stu1965, Nov 16, 2018.

1. stu1965

stu1965

Aug 9, 2010
    Tampa, Fl
    The batt in front of me was always missing the EL84. I just put a new sovtek in (the right side, left side has the 12ax7), and its hot as fu*k. Like burn the fingers hot. Significantly hotter than the 12ax7 (original from K&K).

Is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. In an amp with a tube power section, it is normal for the power tubes to get hot. Did you use its speaker output with the EL84 missing, or just use it as a preamp? According to BATT / Bass Master - Hughes and Kettner Micro Distortion Valve Amps the unit is essentially a tiny tube amp. Does the speaker out work with the EL84 in place? I'd think it would be less than optimal to run a tube amp with no power tubes.

3. stu1965

stu1965

Aug 9, 2010
    Tampa, Fl
    I never had the el84 in there until today, and have used speaker/line out no prob. iThe batt always worked with the 12ax7 alone. I will test with both tubes once i get past my gigs this weekend.

I really was more asking if the el84s are normally super hot.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, the EL84, especially in single ended mode, will run quite hot.

5. stu1965

stu1965

Aug 9, 2010
    Tampa, Fl
    Thank you

agedhorse likes this.